Question Unanswered: Need some pricing help

So I was just recently contacted by a woman who would like me to create her a database through Access. It is for her small business and as of right now all of her information is kept in Excel. She would like it all to be transferred and made easier for her to pull reports and what not. She has informed me that there are roughly 1,000 invoices she would like put into the system (which I will be doing as well) and she gave me a general idea as to how she wants it all done. Next week we will be meeting to discuss things further, including a price.

I've created many databases, but never for a customer. How in the world should I charge? She is giving me a month to get it done, which is great time, but I have no idea what I should charge or how I should come up with my pricing. Can someone please help me? Thank you!

You should work out roughly how long it's going to take you (in hours). Then work out how much your time is worth per hour and then do the maths. Simple!

Also, be careful not to under estimate as doing a whole database can often take a long time as problems/complications arise and often the goal posts get moved during the process.
    Regards
    JD

Software-Matters

Provided Answers: 19
    Quote Originally Posted by SoftwareMatters View Post

...often the goal posts get moved during the process...
    Truer words have seldom been written! 'Scope Creep' is the bane of anyone who works on a fee-for-service basis! Here's a great article on the subject:

Seven steps for avoiding scope creep | TechRepublic

Actually, Scope Creep is a hassle even for in-house developers, as the suits find nothing wrong with adding a gazillion new requirements but still expect you to stick to the original time estimate for completing the task!

Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Smile

Thanks! I didn't think of it that way! I've built many databases for friends in the past. Yes, they can be a pain and take quite some time. But this is the first time I've ever charged for one.

Provided Answers: 19
    When I give a quote I tend to over-charge a little bit, to cover scope creep. IF it occurs, I'm covered, if it doesn't, my final bill is less, reflecting the actual time I spent, and I've never had anyone complain about paying less than the estimated quote!

Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007