Provided Answers: 5

Unanswered: Accessing SQL via IP address vs Terminal Services

hello all - quick question.

I have backend data for a very large oil and gas company in SQL server the front end obviously Access.
    The entire application is scheduled to go offshore to Angola. I am suppose to deliver and install the application when I get therre but Angola is not really pressed to let people in the country so I am in my 5th week waiting for a VISA. however there are some people already there. These people are not IT savvy so we are using a contingency plan to operate the software from our platform while maintaing control over the data here in Houston until I gain access to the country.

My questions are:

Is Access capable of linking to that SQL server by connecting at the IP level? or is it necessary to be on a VPN?

If that is possible which is a better solution to be using from a platform 30 miles off the coast of Africa - the IP Address method or Terminal Services.
    Dale Houston, TX

Provided Answers: 6
    Well, I'm no expert but I'll jump in since nobody else has answered. I know you can create a DSN with an IP address, but of course it has to be publicly exposed to work, which is less secure. Using a VPN with an internal IP address would be more secure.

As to the IP address vs TS, my guess would be that the TS method would work better. In that environment, the only thing going over the internet is keystrokes and screen shots, not data. If your app is not written for it (by minimizing data being sent), the IP method could perform poorly.
    Paul

Provided Answers: 5
    Thank you paul. A very concise yet all encompassing answer - after more research I concur with your answer - and since this is an off-shore application at the mercy of connectivity then I would rather lose a connection via terminal services than with a true persisted connection in the middle of some "polling" procedure or commit code.
    Dale Houston, TX

Provided Answers: 6
    Happy to help!
    Paul