Unanswered: master log getting filled on daily basis
On daily basis, master log of Sybase ASE (15.7.0/EBF 20037) is getting filled. We need to manually execute "dump tran master with no log" daily to clear the log. We are facing this issue only on Test/Edu environments, but not in production.
We have done below analysis to debug issue.
(1) Checked if any user logins are accessing master, changed their default database to user db. But still master log gets filled.
(2) Checked master..sysprocesses on daily basis, but could see only system processes but not any user processes accessing master
(3) Last Chance Threshold (LCT) for master databases is 64 pages (i.e @@thresh_hysteresis value) on all Sybase DB Instances. Also, this is a global variable and any sybase Admin can not change this value.
Questions that we need answer for
(1) What is that filling master log on daily basis and how can we resolve this issue. master db is in mixed data and log mode and logically there is no seperate master and log for master.
(2) Is there any thing that we had missed in our analysis
(3) Does rebooting of Sybase DB Instance resolve this issue?
we had seen the same issue but only once in ASE installed on windows, for that we had taken the reboot of the ASE, and it didn't occur again.
What analysis you had done, I am not able to think anything extra from that, so take a reboot(as its non-prod, so it will not be more problematic), may be it will solve the problem for you.
ASE is hosted on IBM AIX P7 platform. These are Standalone servers and does not have replication.
As per compliance, we can not simply reboot ASE instances in any environment. Just to add, can we add a threshold for master default segment to resolve this issue. Because, we need to standardize this across ll sybase db servers.