Unanswered: Need to extract attachments to a folder and link them back to DB

Hello all,

Using Access 2010, I have reached the 2GB limit. It's not the data, it's the PDF files I scanned in for each customer that has stretched the db to its limits. The db is also currently split.

I didn't realize Office had a 2GB limit; I assumed if you had a 64 bit computer and a NTFS partition, there would be no 2GB limit.

Using a template database in Access 2010, I need to extract the attachments to a folder and thus link them back to the database using hyperlinks. I can handle this task, but I'm not confident how to extract the attachments from each record (around 900) to a folder and have it do it automatically for all records. I can do it record by record, but that is not feasible with this many records.

Any suggestions on how to extract all the attachments for each record, and have them saved in folders by their name or other ID, so I can link them back to the db via a hyperlink?

Thanks
    Mike
    Last edited by Modify_inc; 03-21-13 at 15:38.

Provided Answers: 59
    So strip out all the PDF's from your DB
    store them in a specific location on the disk
    and store the URL to that location inside the DB

you have just discovered one of the reasons why most db developers prefer storing the URL to the data NOT the actual data.

the main problem, of storing outside the DB is that you also need to take into account that these files are now exposed on a file system so could be manipulated or deleted outside the application. you need to design some form permissions regime which allows for users to write to the lcoation (easy enough), but you have to devise the method of version control (ie if the users can overwrite or replace existing PDF's

As to how you extract the PDF, I presume you do it the reverse of the way you stuffed them into the DB in the first place. failing that its going to be tedious but open the PDF then save it manually.

of course you could just circumvent that and transfer the data to a server DB such as SQL server where a bad design can live on for a while longer
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton