Provided Answers: 2

Unanswered: Problem When Screen Recording Brilliant Database

There are a plethora of programs available used for computer screen recording. I did some research and first installed CamStudio since this program seemed that have good reviews. The purpose of this was to prepare a basic demonstration of a program for a customer. Oddly, during playback, the cursor lags and does not appear on the screen where it should be. This behavior is only when I am using BD as everything is perfect when I am using any other program. I researched this problem but what I am seeing happens ONLY with BD.

MacHeuS graciously provided me with a video he had made addressing some problems I was having with some scripting issues - what software was it done with? I would be really interested in finding out what screen recording software (preferably free) that others are using successfully with Brilliant Database.
    Thanks,
    Daryl G

Provided Answers: 4
    Software was trial "Debut video capture".

MacHeuS,
    Great. I downloaded that one this morning and it the mouse tracks PERFECTLY with Brilliant Database. I am really at a loss as to why the other screen recording program behaved so poorly with BD.
    Thanks,
    Daryl G

Provided Answers: 17
    I use Instant Demo myself.
    Screen Recorder Software for Presentations Training and Support

It's expensive, but it's really jam packed with features. You can even compile exe's with it. The file sizes of your recording are also tiny as it can use Flash Animation and only record the part of the screen that changes.

Regards
    James

James,
    That is a nice program! I see that the file size is extremely small (0.1MB per minute)! That alone is a HUGE advantage since these recorders typically generate rather large files. I certainly wish that it was less expensive.
    Daryl G

James,
    Just out of curiosity, does the mouse track properly in 'Instant-Demo'? I have looked a couple more programs, the latest being Microsoft's Expression Encoder 4, and it too has issues with the mouse cursor when using Brilliant Database. The program MacHeuS used (Debut Video Capture) did fine with the cursor but the other two programs I checked had bad behavior with the mouse/cursor (during playback, it either appeared on different parts of the screen than where it actually was or it disappeared and re-appeared randomly but never showing where it should have actually been???). This behavior was only seen when I was using Brilliant Database; in other programs, the mouse's course during playback was just where it was when I was recording. What would make the mouse appear do strange things only in BD?
    Thanks,
    Daryl G

Just out of curiosity, does the mouse track properly in 'Instant-Demo'?
    Yes, always perfect results.

I have looked a couple more programs, the latest being Microsoft's Expression Encoder 4, and it too has issues with the mouse cursor when using Brilliant Database.

What would make the mouse appear do strange things only in BD?
    Probably because those programs don't have a auto sync function and are trying to do everything frame perfect in real-time.

Instant Demo has a Sync Offset function that resolves all those issues. After you have made your recording and your rendering it to a file, you can see the Sync Offset values changing like crazy a lot of times during the rendering. This is Instant Demo making lots of adjustments so your animation and audio are always flawless. Never a dropped frame or any glitches. Works every time without fail.

Considering how expensive it is, I'd expect nothing less to be honest.

Regards
    James.

James,
    I downloaded the trial version of the Instant-Demo software and made a two-minute video using Brilliant Database. When looking at the playback, the mouse is occasionally close to where it actually was during the recording but MOST of the time it is several inches away from where it truly was (i.e., when I clicked on the tabs in my Brilliant Database folder, the playback shows the cursor much higher and at least two inches away from where it was). Is there a 'rule of thumb' that the cursor must be moved very slowly or do I have other problems? I am seeing the same problem with this program that I did with all the others except for the one MacHeuS had used... the playback shows the mouse in a much different position that where it should have been.

I did submit a help ticket with Instant-Demo describing my problem but I am just curious if you experienced anything similar to this when you first started using the software.

As a side note, the generated file size is really small on Instant-Demo compared to all the other programs I have tested. It is also remarkably easy to use!
    Thanks,
    Daryl G

Hi Daryl

Sorry to hear that. Honestly, in all my years using the software it has never done anything but functioned flawlessly.

I would be more inclined to think this problem is unique to your PC and has nothing to do with the software. It could be something simple like drivers or a version of direct X your running.

I did submit a help ticket with Instant-Demo describing my problem but I am just curious if you experienced anything similar to this when you first started using the software.
    Good idea. I would be interested in knowing what they had to say about this because I cannot praise the software enough. I'm really very happy with it.

If you would like to see it in action, here's a video of me using it to file a bug with Brilliant Database I found in version 10. It's a video of a Music program I'm writing for Tablet PC's. That's why the screen in in portrait mode.

http://www.irishacts.com/10v-bug.htm

Regards
    James.
    Last edited by Tubbritt; 03-24-13 at 09:48.

James,
    Thank you. If I can get Instant-Demo to work that well, I will probably buy it... that is, once I finally complete my Brilliant Database product. I see that they offer three version (Standard, Professional, and Studio) - which version are you using?

Did the support folks at BD ever respond to your submission of the bug?

Thanks again for taking the time to help me with all of my questions!
    Daryl G

Hi Daryl

If I can get Instant-Demo to work that well, I will probably buy it... that is, once I finally complete my Brilliant Database product.
    Hopefully their support will help you solve the problem.

I see that they offer three version (Standard, Professional, and Studio) - which version are you using?
    I went for the middle one, professional. I would have loved to buy the Studio one, but I didn't have the money at the time.

Did the support folks at BD ever respond to your submission of the bug?
    Nope.
    Same old story. So frustrating and I find it ignorant at this stage.

I would love to know what the heck is going on. An initial release date of 2 weeks for version 10 has stretched to 10 months at this stage. There's no way on earth anyone could be that clueless about the amount of work left to be done.

Regards
    James