Unanswered: IBM DB2 Client and DB2 Connect

Hi ,
    My scope of work is limited to mainframe DB2. I want to explore more on distributed side of DB2. For that I download IBM DB2 Client on my desktop in the hope I will be connected to mainframe directly .
    But after configuing it for the mainframe and testing for my test mainframe it says this message
    SQL8002N Attempt to connect to HOST failed due missing DB2 connect product or invalid license.

I know I do not have DB2 Connect connect on my local machine

My question is if I use only IBM DB2 Client product , can not this product alone connect to mainframe DB2.

Having DB2 Connect is mandatory requirement ?

Other Question is if I download DB2 Express C (free version) then will it be possible to connect to mainframe (no db2 connect still ) ?

Please suggest .

Regards,
    Manoj K Jadwani

In order to connect to DB2 z/OS from Windows, Linux, or UNIX, you need DB2 Connect if you are using a DB2 Client. Not sure about third party clients. Technically, you don't actually need DB2 Connect, you only need the license that comes with DB2 Connect and it is possible to put a DB2 Connect license on a regular DB2 Client and make it work. But most people just get DB2 Connect.

You might be able to find some software that comes with a trial license (usually 90 days) for DB2 Connect. I don't believe that DB2 Express-C comes with that, but if you download the latest fixpack of DB2 Server and install it, that comes with a trial license for DB2 server and DB2 Connect (both of which will expire after some period). Not sure if there is a trial version of just DB2 Connect, but you could google "db2 connect trial".

I assume you have contacted your DB2 z/OS DBA or DB2 Systems Programmer, because otherwise you probably won't know how to configure the connection. Many companies have site licenses for DB2 Connect or DB2 Connects Gateways installed that you can use.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

Hi,

you could use the IBM Data Studio. It's available at no charge and also ships the license jar to access DB2 on the Mainframe.

Download : IBM Data Studio V3.2

Other DB2 Client or third party Software require a DB2 Connect License.