Provided Answers: 5

Unanswered: backing up from SQL a SQL Server and restoring to Local Express - files not visible

hey guys - very experienced developer here (fromm the fron end side) for sql server.

Recentlyy i wanted to test routines using my local sql server engine and thought I could backup the mdf ldf file on the true network sql server in which I am listed as a dbowner with full permissions. In fact i can add users for the at db etc.

The backup allows me to browse to a local folder

with the following being the default
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10_50.CMS_PROJECT\MSSQL\Backup\

i name the file and it executes properly but when i try to restore that file to my local db that path is not even visible to me.

In fact when i use exploreer I cannot even find the folders after Microsoft SQL Server!

I search for .bak but nothing.

How can I see that folder construction in the sql browser but never in explorer -

any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Dale Houston, TX

Are you RDC into the server and creating backup? If so the mdf file is in the local folder on remote server and not your desktop.

Provided Answers: 5
    yes thank you - but what is strange is that the path being shwn is for my local machine but I never see that path through exploreer - so you re saying that that path is on the servwer of the datanase not my local machine that my studio manager is on - makes sense
    Dale Houston, TX