Provided Answers: 2

Unanswered: Using Folder Selection As A Variable

Is it possible to select a folder from a list of all available folders and use this selection as a variable? I want to use tamcind's suggestion for importing from EXCEL when the database is being initially populated with data. I would like for the user to be able to select each particular folder, as needed, and the preset for importing would already be established for all pertinent folders. I searched around and see that be incorporating a Many-To-Many Relational field that the list of all folders can be made to appear by NOT selecting 'Hide tree of folders (fixed default value)'. However, I cannot see any method to assign a variable to the folder that is selected. I also looked through the user's guide and cannot find a solution to this question. I would like to have something similar to the box that appears on the attached screenshot (any method and/or presentation will work just as long as all the folders are listed AND a variable can be assigned representing the selected folder).
    Thanks,
    Daryl G
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails folder selection.jpg  

Have not quite got my head around this one yet but I would mention that there is a system variable 'current folder ID', you can select folders by Variable in script editor action. Also if folder list is static you could just have separate script for each folder 'SELECT FOLDER action'. "User input by list" may also offer some assistence - can update list using variable as source and can populate with field values, constants, other variables etc (a little vague now but this got me out of trouble some time ago).

Provided Answers: 17
    Is it possible to select a folder from a list of all available folders and use this selection as a variable?
    Yes, you have 3 choices. Under Variables you will have System functions as tamcind points out.

[$_cur folder name]
    This returns the actual folder name as you see it. However, if the folder is renamed, then your variable changes to that new name.

[$_cur folder path]
    This is much like the one above if it's renamed with the addition that it will return the full path. For example... "Root/My Folder Name" rather than "My Folder Name".

[$_cur folder id]
    This returns a static numeric value and regardless of what the folder is actually named or renamed to, it's numeric value always stays the same. This one is great if your hard coding your folder selections because if the operator has the ability to rename the folder, your code still functions regardless of what the folder is renamed to.

Regards
    James
    Last edited by Tubbritt; 03-29-13 at 22:03.

Did a bit of experimenting and it is possible to have user select from a list of folders and then automatically go to that folder. While I could make BD automatically generate list by selecting each folder once (ignoring any further selecting) or by creation of folder with a script, the deleting of folders creates some problems. Did make some progress with this but can not spend too much more time fine tuning.

Thanks tamcind and Tubbritt. I played around some more and found an easy solution to my problem... I think. Ever since tamcind introduced me to the 'Import From A Database' script action, I have been seeing a lot of applications for that action. One of those applies to the program I am currently developing - my plan was to add a button on one of the folders that would allow users to initially populate a blank database with records that were stored in EXCEL. Since I have several folders, I wanted to incorporate the ability for the user to select an individual folder to do this action to. In the end, all I had to do was to define a varaiable using 'Recordset = Input record(s) from a folder' - my scripting was simple "[$list_all_folders]=records from folder ("Root", "One record"). This works well, at least it appears to, though I have not finished coding and defining all of the required presets. I would benefit with some addition flexibility in the 'Import' command but I should be able to work around this though I must provide good instructions for the end user on what steps/actions need to be performed when importing the initial data.
    Thanks,
    Daryl G