Provided Answers: 2

Unanswered: Can Brilliant Database Work On An Ipad?

My wife, a physician, has just approached me with another project. Can Brilliant Database successfully work on an Ipad?
    Thanks,
    Daryl G

Don't think so, BD - Windows only. A web based client system might be the way for Ipad but as I haven't used one I can't give a good answer. If you wanted to experiment take a look at Longtion Application Builder ( spending some time learning at moment). Also just download "Magic -xpa" but not used so can't recommend - appears interesting. Most of the tablet/handheld database systems seem limited in features to me.

tamcind,
    Thanks again for answering my seemingly unending questions! I recently gave my wife a demonstration of my project. Yesterday, over a glass of wine, she explained how the program I have could be used in her medical clinic. Granted, there are a huge amount of legal issues, primarily HIPAA in the United States, that must be considered and addressed but a similarly-configured program could be utilized as a tool to patient training, education, and the overall improvement of their health. The physicians at her hospital are all required to have Ipads... hence my original question. The governor of our state (Alabama) is a physician too and maintains close ties with her hospital. With Alabama ranking 45th out of 50 states in America's Health Rankings, there is much room for improvement.

Yes, I have been told several times before in the working environment that you cannot do this, you cannot do that. Yet when I was able to successfully accomplish what I had been repeatedly told was impossible, I just go about my business and ignore the naysayers! These obstacles, legal obstacles in this case, should not be allowed to hamper creativity that could ultimately benefit many.

Too bad that Brilliant Database cannot be used on Ipad because the popularity of those tools is certainly growing and BD could tap into another lucrative market (though they better first get the customer support issue corrected first!).
    Thanks,
    Daryl G
    Last edited by fireant911; 03-31-13 at 12:09.

Juist noticed that Filemaker has a version for Ipad (Filemaker GO). Nothing wrong with Filemaker except pricing.

Provided Answers: 54
    There's no reason that I can think of that you couldn't use one of the RDP packages that run on an iPad to use a Brilliant Database application. As long as your app used the RDP over an SSL connection, that would comply with HIPPA.

Granted that this is a bit of a "Rube Goldberg" approach, but it certainly can be done. At least one state hospital and one multi-state hospital are already doing it to reach other specialty applications.

FWIW, with packages like ERIC available at minimal cost you might want to reconsider your plan. How much effort it is worth to re-invent the wheel when someone will sell you a fleet of nice sedans with ongoing maintenance for a few thousand dollars per year?

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Pat,
    I agree, there are already a plethora of programs already approved and out available for purchase by the medical community; however, per my wife, these programs are lacking too much to accomplish what she wants to do. It is almost like the current medical packages have adopted the 'one-size-fits-all' mentality and although they appear to have all the super features, the actual usage is far from optimal. The electronic medical records (EMR's) in use at her hospital do a great job as a depository for information but do little in regards to enabling the physician to provide great care... as that comes down to the ability of the physician themselves. Her vision is much more broad and I doubt that her approach would be attractive to most practicing doctors.

Just as a basis of measure and according to my wife, what I have done in my first Brilliant Database project far outweighs what currently exists in the EMR's regarding improving patience car because these records are just storage-houses of data. The programmers of the EMR's will gladly customize their program's to specifically what an individual needs but that gets stupidly expensive plus the programmers do not have much in the way of medical knowledge so what is explained as being needed often is not what is given as a solution.

I need to clearly state that I have no first-hand knowledge of the currently available EMR's as I am only familiar because of the discussions that my wife and I have had concerning these tools - so, please, no one stomp on me for what I have stated.

What is the 'ERIC' thing you mentioned? I have never heard of this and my Internet searches did not yield anything concrete.

tamcind,
    Filemaker could be an option but I hate the thought of yet another learning curve with another program. I already have too many scars from what I went through with Brilliant Database... I can say, with a smile on my face, that things because much easier once I was into my third month with BD. I have learned a tremendous amount with this program even as unorthodox as I considered it.
    Thanks,
    Daryl G

Provided Answers: 54
    Sorry, ERIC was a previous incarnation.

See Epic but you might want to wait to evaluate their home page tomorrow... EPIC is based in health care education, and take today VERY seriously!

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Provided Answers: 17
    Something that might suite....
    There's a small little factory using one of my databases and recently they asked me to make a change. They wanted the girl in the office to be able to go out on the factory floor a few times a day to do some checks before orders were dispatched.

So I got her a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (Android) and a remote desktop app called X2 Client on it. I made a small modification to the program so the buttons were bigger for touch screen usage and away she went.

The feedback I've gotten is they are delighted and it's so easy and portable.

Regards
    James