Unanswered: creating error messages if data is entered in the wrong way

Hi,

I'm creating a database for a charity. Donors can either be companies or private individuals. If i create a table listing all donors, not all fields will apply to individuals and similarly not all fields will apply to companies (e.g. Title, First Name and Last Name won't apply to companies, whereas Company Name won't appy to individuals). So when I put into datasheet view and enter data, how can I ensure that data isnt entered the wrong way - basically if a user is entering data for an individual donor, how can I ensure that they don't enter data into fields which are only relevant for company donors? Is there an error message I can create for this? Or do you know of a better way to do this?

By the way this is a coursework assignment and I have to enter some data in datasheet view, although I know in practice users should only be able to enter data through forms, not datasheet view of the table.

Thanks for any help in advance!

Provided Answers: 19
    Quote Originally Posted by ib004 View Post

...I have to enter some data in datasheet view, although I know in practice users should only be able to enter data through forms, not datasheet view of the table...
    That is correct, and no qualified instructor should be asking you to do this! Are you sure he/she was talking about entering data directly into the Table? When anyone says 'datasheet view' I usually assume that they're talking about using a Datasheet View Form, which looks like the Table, but is, in fact, a Form.

With a a Datasheet View Form this can be done, but I know of no way to do it entering data directly in a Table. You would have to have some Field that would identify whether this was an individual or corporate donor, and refer to this, and if I remember correctly, at the Table-Level, you [B]cannot use validation for one Field that refers to another Field in the Table.

But I could be wrong!

Your mileage may vary!

Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007