Provided Answers: 2

Unanswered: Using Scripting for 'Database Maintenance' Procedures

Can procedures like defragging the database ('Database Maintenance' / 'Database Optimization') be included in the script to run on certain days? I am curious since this procedure should be run on some sort of regular schedule and oftentimes these 'little' things are overlooked and/or forgotten. The database timers certainly sound equipped to do this but can the actual procedure of defragging be included in the script?
    Thanks,
    Daryl G

Hi Daryl
    Can only do manually with menu's as far as I know. You raise a very good point with this request, in that if only we could access menu items via scripts, the power of BD would be increased. In fact only last night I sent a "wish list" request to support which included this ability. While I am not a expert programmer, I image all the menu routines exist in code and only need to be exposed to script engine. any one else have a favorite menu item they would like to access from a script ?
    David

Provided Answers: 17
    Can't be done by default using scripts I'm afraid.
    There are ways to attempt it using macros that perform key strokes though. Not really recommended though.

I think the best solution is to simply use a timer that displays a message once every time you feel the database might need optimisation, telling the user performance can be increased if they optimise the database. Maybe even include a short instruction on how to do it in the pop-up message.

Just my 2 cents though.

Regards
    James

Also you can create a timer with a reminder to defrag the database.