Thread: SDK questions

Unanswered: SDK questions

Hi,

I have a few questions about the SDK I hope someone may be able to help with:

1. Are any of the design tools available within a compiled application - for example is it possible to allow custom fields to be created or field labels to be changed?

2. How are database updates handled. Suppose your database app has been sold to end users and you then release a newer version perhaps with more functionality and additional fields etc, how do existing users upgrade their database to the new one?

3. I have a licensed copy of Ultimate but when I bought it I didn't realise the importance of providing a company name at that stage. Now any application I make says: "created by " in the About dialogue. There seems to be no way to change this as it's linked to the license key. That is very annoying. Any solution? Or do I need to try and get some support response and a new key!?!

Thanks for any help.

Matty
    Last edited by matty1965; 04-03-13 at 17:06.

Provided Answers: 17
    1. Are any of the design tools available within a compiled application - for example is it possible to allow custom fields to be created or field labels to be changed?
    The design tools are for designers, so no, those functions are not available to the end user.

You can give them the power to edit and create queries, or modify formula fields if you made them dynamic and not static.

If you want to allow the end user to title fields, you technically can't do that, but there is a workaround I use. You can pace a URL bar over the text field and make it read only, and then give them a button to press that allows them to update it, or some other function that requires them to enter in a “User input”.

2. How are database updates handled. Suppose your database app has been sold to end users and you then release a newer version perhaps with more functionality and additional fields etc, how do existing users upgrade their database to the new one?
    When you are compiling your program, you must allow the “Update database” to be compiled as part of the File menu.

Once you do that, the end user can install updates as patches. They would launch their version of the program, click on File followed by Update database. Then they would select your update patch.

This will update their database to the latest version, and not overwrite anything they have populated the database with.

Care needs to be given though when you are designing your update. If you delete fields, you will cause bit problems for the end users.

3. I have a licensed copy of Ultimate but when I bought it I didn't realise the importance of providing a company name at that stage. Now any application I make says: "created by " in the About dialogue. There seems to be no way to change this as it's linked to the license key. That is very annoying. Any solution? Or do I need to try and get some support response and a new key!?!
    You need to get a new Key. Just explain it to them and they should be ok with this. Same happened to me too when I bough the SDK.

Regards
    James

Hi James,

Thanks very much the information.

Quote Originally Posted by Tubbritt View Post
    When you are compiling your program, you must allow the “Update database” to be compiled as part of the File menu.

Once you do that, the end user can install updates as patches. They would launch their version of the program, click on File followed by Update database. Then they would select your update patch.
    Can you let me know what form this update patch takes and how one is created?

I have requested a new key but no response as yet - not convinced the support issues are resolved as they claim on their website!

Thanks again

Matty

Provided Answers: 17
    Hi Matty.

Can you let me know what form this update patch takes and how one is created?
    Sure.
    Create two copies of your database.

Take one copy and modify it to include all the new functions you want. For the purpose of this example, lets assume you made changes to a form and you modified a report style.

Once your completed making all the changes to your form and report style, you close the database and open the other copy you didn't modify.

Click on “File”
    Then “Import/Parse”
    Then “synchronize with another database”

In the window that opens, select the database you modified that contains all the new features.

Press “Forms” and then press update an exsisting form.
    This will allow you to update the existing form to the new layout you created.

Now press Report Styles and do the same as above to update an existing report style.

As this stage, both databases should be identical, but before you close the windows, press the button called “Save this synchronization as an update file.”

This will save the update as a patch. The file this generates is what you will be sending your end user so they can update their database.

How the end user applies the patch is much simpler. They open their database as normal, then they click on “File” followed by Update “Databases”.

Then then select the patch file you sent them and that's all. The rest is automated and your customers database is seamlessly updated to the new functions you created.

I have requested a new key but no response as yet - not convinced the support issues are resolved as they claim on their website!
    Hope they sort you out soon. Hope they have their own act sorted out too. It's an important time for them I think. V10 is around the corner and they could do very well have have good success if they manage all this right.

Regards
    James

Hi James,

That's great, thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by Tubbritt View Post
    Hope they sort you out soon. Hope they have their own act sorted out too. It's an important time for them I think. V10 is around the corner and they could do very well have have good success if they manage all this right.
    I received the new license key earlier today. In fact I received it twice, once from Mikhail and once from a guy called Tom - so maybe there are a few more people involved now.

Thanks again.

Matty
    Last edited by matty1965; 04-05-13 at 14:24.