Unhappy Unanswered: Foreign Key Issues

Hello, I am using phpmyadmin on xampp and I have created a database for a project I am doing but with no data yet. I've assigned the primary keys and from what I believe I have also set up the foreign key relationships. Now i am trying to add the data but I am getting the following error.

"SQL query: Edit

INSERT INTO `happy homes`.`development` (
    `development_id` ,
    `regional_id` ,
    `employee_id` ,
    VALUES (
    '12', '123', '12343', 'sdsdfgdfg'

MySQL said: Documentation
    #1452 - Cannot add or update a child row: a foreign key constraint fails (`happy homes`.`development`, CONSTRAINT `development_ibfk_3` FOREIGN KEY (`regional_id`) REFERENCES `development` (`regional_id`)) "

-- I can't make sense of the error really as I am a beginner with SQL. Could someone please help me with this issue?

In front of the computer
    Provided Answers: 54
    You've created a foreign key that refers to itself. This creates a requirement for data that is impossible to fulfill.

You need to drop the existing incorrect development_ibfk_3 constraint and then recreate it so that it references another (correct) table.

I'm going to hazard a guess that the correct table name for this constraint is probably `region`.

I'd also like to suggest that you change your table names from singular (such as development) to plural (such as developments).

In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.