Provided Answers: 2

Unanswered: Difficulting in Configuring Printing (Multiple Report Styles)

I am trying to configure the printing for my project. Under ‘File’ and then ‘Print’, a message appears stating that at least one report style must exist. After going through the available options, this works as expected… What I need to do is to have multiple report styles set up for a particular form. The reason behind this is that this form has several different Many-to-Many relational fields. The field that eventually appears is based on the selections that the user has made therefore, I need to have a different ‘report style’ for each Many-to-Many field (I currently have six different Many-to-Many fields in the folder). Is it possible to have several ‘report styles’ for one folder? If so, how do I accomplish this because I cannot find a way to have more than one?
    Thanks,
    Daryl G

Provided Answers: 17
    Is it possible to have several ‘report styles’ for one folder?
    Report styles have nothing to do with folders, when you create one you associated it with a form type to pull the information from.

So yes, you can have any number of different report styles assigned to your form that contains the data.

You can give the user direct buttons to press from your form as to which report style is used, or you can make to freely selectable by the end user from the preview window as shown in the image attached.

Regards
    James.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails printing.jpg  

James,
    I was erroneously using the terms folder and forms synonymously (I am still new to this!). I still cannot find a way to have more than one report styles for a form. When I first attempt to create a report style, I see that there is a button to create a new report style; however, once a report style has been created for a form, I am unable to find a way to add another report style for the same form. I see that you have done that in your attached screenshot (Report Type 1 and Report Type 2) but I have absolutely no idea on how to add a second report style??? I have clicked every thing that I think may work but this has not allowed me to create a second or third form - is there some trick to this that is not covered in the user's guide?
    Thanks,
    Daryl G

Hi Daryl.
    No problem.

Open your report editor.

See attached image “option1”. Click on the button I've circled.

A window will pop up. On step 3 you will be able to select the form type for the report to work with.
    See attached image “option2”

Regards
    James.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails option1.jpg   option2.jpg  

here's a quick example of two buttons forcing one form to switch between different report styles.

Regards
    James
    Attached Files Attached Files

James,
    Terrific. In hindsight, it all makes perfect sense now... would you believe that I have spent several hours over the last two days trying to do that??? Originally, I did not see any reference to those basic steps anywhere in the user's guide plus I tried tried all sorts of creative things, none of which were right.

I did go back in to the user's guide, armed now with your solution, just to see if it was really there or not. Yes, there on page 96 was the answer. I used the search command several times and completely missed the solution. Thanks again for your help. I will try to be more astute in the future
    Daryl G

I will try to be more astute in the future
    Not at all. Your doing unbelievably well and are taking to Brilliant Database like a Duck to Water.

Nice going...!!!

Regards
    James

Now I have five different report styles set up. I have added scripting that is supposed to print the proper form based on various conditions (see attached). The unfortunate thing is that is does not work… it only prints to the first report style on the list. I added a message box so that I can see that the proper value is being passed, which it is, but it still only prints to the first report style on the list (I know that the proper 'If' is being caught because of the message that is appearing... the proper report style is not!!!). I did change the order of the report styles and verified that this is indeed occurring. I took the example that James Tubbitt had sent me earlier and modified it to similar type of scripting and, of course, it works perfectly fine. I have no default style setup so this should not be to blame. Does anyone have any idea as to why the program is not recognizing more than one report style?
    Thanks,
    Daryl G
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails printing.jpg  

Hi Daryl.
    Double click on line 3 of your code.
    A window will appear with 3 options. You have the middle option set to Auto. This is wrong. You need to change this to “Selected Record”.

Now repeat the above for lines 7, 11, 15, and 19.

Should work now.

Regards
    James

James,
    Now it works exactly how I needed it to!!!!! I was wondering what was wrong because with the auto selected and manually selecting other report styles, the print preview would show earlier reports that were no that did not even pertain to what was on the screen. You have taught me a great deal about this program and I am so appreciative that you take the time to answer question after question from me.
    Daryl G