Thread: VB Code.

Provided Answers: 17

Unanswered: VB Code.

Hi all.
    I'm interested in learning about the advantages of running VB code inside Brilliant Database. It's a function I haven't used, and I don't code VB, so I'm not exactly sure of what advantage there would be in even learning to code VB versus just using brilliant database scripts.

So I was wondering if anyone had anything to share on this subject. What advantages do you think could be gained for example, and if any, where would you suggest I start?

Regards
    James

Provided Answers: 54
    I'm assuming that Brilliant Database supports VBA (Visual Basic for Applications).

VBA was Microsoft's primary scripting language within applications for years. There are mountains of code snippets available to do almost anything you can imagine with Windows.

Assuming that the applications that Brilliant Database produces will support OLE, it is quite probable that you could write VBA script to trigger a Macro-like feed of keystrokes that would allow you to invoke commands within your application's menus such as database maintenance/reorganization.

See http://www.google.com/search?q=what+...ddress&ie=&oe= for more ideas.

I wish that I had access to a copy of Brilliant to be able to offer better answers to questions like this, but I'm not willing to buy a copy solely so that I can support a product that I can't personally use! Such is life I guess.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Provided Answers: 17
    Hi Pat.
    Thanks for your reply. I will certainly try to digest that and see if I can making anything workable in brilliant database from it. As this side of things is new to me, I'm simply unsure Brilliant Database will even run VBA code as there's only reference to VB code in the manual.

I don't even know the difference between VBA and VB code, so I'm not even sure if I've just said something silly there or not.

I wish that I had access to a copy of Brilliant to be able to offer better answers to questions like this, but I'm not willing to buy a copy solely so that I can support a product that I can't personally use! Such is life I guess.
    For hosting this forum, they should give you a free copy of the SDK edition for sure, and free upgrades for life. For me as an end user I find your forum extremely helpful, and a great comfort to know I'm not alone and that there are other users out there using the same software as me.

I'm sure our activity on the forum helping each other also translates into interest for the program and in turn brings new customers to brilliant database, as well as keeps existing users upgrading.

Thank you for having us here...!!!!

Regards
    James

It is no problem having you and other Brilliant Database users here. That is exactly why DBForums exists, to provide a place for civil discussion of databases and related tools and ideas. We tend to be rough on spammers and those posters that engage in personal attacks, but otherwise we welcome everyone that wants to build a database related community.

My biggest problem is that I'm personally drawn in a dozen directions at once, all of the time. I'm sure that Mikhail and the other folks involved with Brilliant have the same problem, possibly on a larger scale. Forums allow people like you and me to leverage our contribution to the community... Customer Service can help one person at a time, but if we do a good job helping people and making it possible for others to find the conversation thread we can potentially help dozens, hundreds, or even thousands of users at once.

I participate in four "local" user groups, and a couple of virtual groups (that do meetings and presentations via the internet). My company has many clients, and we're growing fast so that takes a lot of my time too. I suspect that in the long run, my work in encouraging civil discourse in the forums will be my biggest contribution... The leverage factor is hard to comprehend at first, until you have someone that barely speaks English email you a question about something you posted 20 years ago... Then it really starts to sink in!

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Provided Answers: 2
    James,
    I have over 10 years experience with VBA (finally, you ask a question where I may have something to add!). I have experimented with using Visual Basic in Brilliant Database only in cases where I could not get the BDs' normal scripting to work properly. My experience is that you cannot always directly substitute BD's scripting with the equivalent of Visual Basic for Applications. I spent much time trying to overcome what I think is a problem/bug in Brilliant Database (exiting out of a 'For Each' command early by using an 'If' command and 'Exit Do' (which is a perfectly fine strategy within Visual Basic); however, when using VBScript in Brilliant Database, it would clearly NOT work... I have had some success with other, more basic, Visual Basic commands though it appears to be 'hit or miss'.
    Daryl G

Provided Answers: 2
    I may stand corrected but I believe Brilliant Database uses VBScript only, not VB for Applications ( this being a subset of functions and not as powerful). It could still be useful when BD does not have the required functions needed for a special task like "ASC" and "CHR".

The differences between VBA and VBScript probably aren't significant for the kinds of things that I'd expect to use it to accomplish in this environment. I still see the addition of VBScript as a significant addition to the Brilliant Database developer's arsenal!

-PatP