Unanswered: displaying same field on different sheets - same form

Hi,

I wonder if this is possible.

Say I have a form with two sheets. On the first sheet I have an image field and various other fields. On the second sheet I have another set of fields. Is there a means of displaying the image from the first sheet on the second sheet - as a reminder of what this record is referring to? It shouldn't be an active image field as such, just display the image contained in the field on the other sheet (probably in a smaller field size).

Thanks

Matty

Provided Answers: 17
    Yes and no.

You have 3 problems that would mean you would have to take a very odd approach to this.

1: Making the same field read only on one sheet, and read/write on another is not possible in version 9.43. This is something that can only be directly done in version 10 as only version 10 allows us to run scripts when you select sheets.

2: The same field cannot be a different size on another sheet. It is also only viewable on one sheet, or all sheets at the size you created.

3: Same as number 2, the same field cannot be in two different positions across different sheets or on only select sheets. It's can only be on one or all sheets of your form in it's current location.

That being said, there is a way to accomplish this all using 3 images fields.

See attached file.
    The image on Sheet 1 is read/write. When you update this field it's set to auto populate the image field on sheet 2 with a copy of what is stored in sheet 1, even though image field 2 is set to read only, this still works.

So doing it this way, you accomplish what you want.

Only one more problem to overcome. The clear field option will cause an error when working with image fields that are running scripts. I suspect this is a bug. To get around this problem, I've hidden a third image field behind the button on sheet 2. This image field stores a 10x10 pixel white image called blank.

Pressing the Clear Image button populates the image 1 and image 2 fields with the contents of image 3.

When creating a new record, the contents of image 3 are never lost, so this solution will always work on new records as the form was set to default this way.

Hope that helps.

Regards
    James.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Provided Answers: 2
    You could try storing your images in a second form and use 2 simple relations (1 to 1). This way you are only storing 1 image but can have multiple independent copies on main form. I did try this and seemed to work using a script triggered by editing main image to update second image but need to investigate further to see if reliable. Like James said, there is currently no clear cut method in version 9 but tomorrow is V10 day (I hope) so will wait and try out this idea on new version with sheet triggers.
    Regards
    David

Hi David and James

Thanks very much for the suggestions, I will look into these.

Matty

Attached basic copy of file to experiment with.

Added improvement to first file - refreshing main image if existing image changed.