Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unanswered: Sql server 6.5 just keeps loading

I'm upgrading some old databases and I never learned 6.5, I started with 7.0. anyways, I installed 6.5 on NT4.0 server sp6a with sql server 6.5 sp 5a. I'm not sure I'm doing this right, but I created a device and pointed it to the .dat file that I'm trying to load, created a database and pointed it to the device but all it does is say it's loading and it goes on and on, over night even. any adivse on what i may be doing wrong? thanks

Provided Answers: 54
    What do you think is in the .DAT file? DAT isn't a file extension normally used by a SQL 6.5 server, so we need to figure out what you've got in order to help you figure out how to use it!

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Provided Answers: 11
    Wow. 6.5. This may bring back memories. Last time I had to do anything 6.5-ish was 2001 or so, so you may have to bear with me.

I think you are trying to create a new database, right? So, you have created brand new devices, and created a database using those devices, right? Is the new database accessible (You may need to refresh the database list to be sure)?

ultimately, I'm trying to gather up old sql 6.5 databases from 8 different servers and attach them to my fresh install of 6.5 sp5a. So far I've been able to guess my way through the gui but I'm not sure how to attach these databases. Do I have to create devices and then a new database for each one to attach them to? I would like to have 8 databases in the end, then I'm told I can upgrade the 6.5 to 2000 and the upgrade process is hopefully going to turn the .dat files into .mdf's, then I hope to pull them into my 2012 sql server
    Last edited by StanTheMan2; 04-26-13 at 08:28.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Phelan View Post
    What do you think is in the .DAT file? DAT isn't a file extension normally used by a SQL 6.5 server, so we need to figure out what you've got in order to help you figure out how to use it!

-PatP
    any help you can provide would great, I've read quite a bit about 6.5 and .dat files, can you tell me what the file ext. is for a 6.5 database? I'm way over schedule on this project, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by MCrowley View Post
    Wow. 6.5. This may bring back memories. Last time I had to do anything 6.5-ish was 2001 or so, so you may have to bear with me.

I think you are trying to create a new database, right? So, you have created brand new devices, and created a database using those devices, right? Is the new database accessible (You may need to refresh the database list to be sure)?
    when I refreshed, that's when the database icon appends a "Loading" string to itself. sort of like Sprdb4 (loading) maybe it is permissions problem but I was able to attach one small database now that I think of it, maybe the one smaller database had looser permissions on it, I'll try that one again, and then some of the others.. please, any help would be great, Thanks
    Last edited by StanTheMan2; 04-26-13 at 08:35.

In SQL 6.5, there is no concept of "attaching" a database. That was introduced in SQL 7.0. Your best bet is to take backups of the databases from their original homes, and restoring them on the devices you have created.

There is no attaching of databases in SQL 6.5, because multiple databases can use the same database device. This means moving a single database device around can carry with it a bunch of unwanted passengers.

If you can get to running copies of the SQL 6.5 databases, create backup files for the databases that you want to upgrade. This is done using the BACKUP DATABASE command, most often to a backup device.

The destructions at How to Upgrade SQL Server 6.5 and 7.0 to SQL Server 2000 will get you rolling quickly if you have the backup files.

In the days of SQL 6.5, a DAT file was usually the result of BCP creating an image of a single table. There was no real rhyme or reason to file extensions though, so it could be quite literally ANYTHING. Until we know what it is, we can't help you figure out what your choices are for dealing with it!

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

It has been a while, but the command to back up a database was DUMP DATABASE, but the BACKUP DATABASE syntax may have been supported by then. It's hard to say since even the manuals for SQL 6.5 are no longer around.

Pat, do you remember a REUSE parameter to one of the statements. Either creating the device, or creating the database? I think there was an option for re-connecting a device to an instance of SQL Server 6.5 without having to zero out the file. It's not something I ever used, but I think I remember it as being an option.

I actually had the SQL 6.5 BOL online until a few weeks ago. I can get them back, but not today.

I'm still waiting to find what is supposed to be in the file. Until we know that, we're just spinning our wheels.

-PatP

I've got 2 of the .dat files to load and it is data from the database, all the rows I'm looking for. I did one upgrade to sql 7 and it upgraded the pubs database to a .mdf file, but the .dat file that I actually want, didn't have login info or something to that effect, so in a few minutes, I'll be doing the sql 7 upgrade wizard again to test out the permissions. (I had to reformat nt4 server, install sql etc..). I'm no expert with 6.5 by any means but looking at this data, the .dat file has the contents of the 6.5 database, I'll let you know how the upgrade goes soon, thanks very much for the help

ok, I got 2 database from version 6.5 into version 7, including views and sproc's, I think there must be another step to getting it into 2005 and 2012. I have the mdf's now, but when i attach them, I can't expand anything, it just says 6.5 compatible, getting closer, they do expand in 7 so I'm confident now.

1. Take backups of the databases.
    2. Backups made using SQL 6.5 can be restored into SQL 7.0 or SQL 2000.
    3. Backups made using SQL 7.0 can be restored into SQL 2000 or SQL 2005.
    4. Backup the restored database(s)
    5. Backups made using SQL 2000 can be restored into SQL 2008 R2
    6. Backup the restored databases
    7. Backups made using SQL 2008 R2 can be restored into SQL 2012.
    I've heard people say that they've restored SQL 2000 and SQL 2005 into SQL 2012, but I've never actually done it myself.

-PatP

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Phelan View Post
    1. Take backups of the databases.
    2. Backups made using SQL 6.5 can be restored into SQL 7.0 or SQL 2000.
    3. Backups made using SQL 7.0 can be restored into SQL 2000 or SQL 2005.
    4. Backup the restored database(s)
    5. Backups made using SQL 2000 can be restored into SQL 2008 R2
    6. Backup the restored databases
    7. Backups made using SQL 2008 R2 can be restored into SQL 2012.
    I've heard people say that they've restored SQL 2000 and SQL 2005 into SQL 2012, but I've never actually done it myself.

-PatP
    I went from 2000 --> by copying the files --> 2008 R2 and wrote a script to attach them since I didn't want to do this manually when going to --> 2012. I had to restore two databases because they couldn't be attached. I went from the backup location on 2000 server to 2008 R2 and used the move option. Worked just fine. Changed compatibility on databases. The next step was to do the same 2008 R2 --> 2012. Problem I had was .Net 3.5 wasn't installed with 2012 and this required another step. Not sure why MS decided to install .Net 4.0 and a manual install of 3.5???

Microsoft flirted with the idea of having Windows manage everything involving .NET in the Windows 2008 or Windows 2008 R2 release. Because of that the .NET 3.5 framework needed to be installed by Windows instead of being included in the SQL Server install.

I remember having heard about some problems with detaching a SQL 2000 database and directly attaching it into a SQL 2008 R2 server. I'm trying to remember the details, but I think that it might have involved Full-Text indexing. Detach/Attach was problematic, but Backup/Restore was simple.

I know that MS-PSS ALWAYS recommends using Backup/Restore for doing upgrades if the upgrade can't be done "in place" for the whole server.

-PatP