Unanswered: more on image export

Hi

I have been experimenting with the image export action in the scripts. One issue that has come up is determing the image file format (gif, bmp, jpeg etc) at time of export as I will not know what format has been used for each image. The Export image file action requires you to give a filename without knowing the format. So my query is how to determine the image format at time of export so the correct file extension can be used.

Thanks.

Matty

Provided Answers: 54
    Bear with me for a moment, because I have an idea but I can't test it myself...

Create a test image, and load it from the format of your choice. Export the image to a different file format than what you imported. Use a third party package (like Paint or GIMP) to see if the export was successful.

If the Brilliant Database image controls behave like most in the industry, they are file format agnostic and should import/export from multiple file formats.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Hi Pat

It doesn't seem to be that straightforward. Some applications like the Windows image viewer is fine - but then it seems to be able to open any image even if the extension is randomly changed. However other software doesn't recognise the exported images unless the extension is correct (bmp is the default for my scanned images).

To avoid this type of problem of the format you can confiqure the image field properties to convert all imported images to "always convert to JPG" in the form designer.

Thanks, but I think that whole area is broken in v10. Certainly the option to resize when acquiring/adding an image does not work. Have not tried in the latest update. Not sure what has happened in the move to v10 that has so messed up the image side of things. E.g csv export no longer supports images and another thread here about static images being broken. So frustrating as I just can't make progress. :-(

Provided Answers: 17
    Many things about the image field are broken in v10. One of which is that it will certainly not resize an image.

I'm afraid you will have to wait for the next release, which was due yesterday according to the email I have got. Hopefully we will see it at some point today.

Regards
    James

Provided Answers: 2
    It appears BD "knows" what the image format is as it seems to default to correct extension when the "save image as" image field menu is right clicked but getting this to work as a script is not possible as far as I can see. Another case of exposing more menu items to script engine - should add this to wish list.
    The only thing I can suggest is storing the full image file name (+extension) in a non visable field - not a problem if you import you images with a script in to a dedicated image form like I usually do but direct acquiring may be a problem.
    Another feature request to Brilliant Database support for V10.1 ?

Hi
    It appears that the text export to CSV is working again in V10.05. This is showing the correct extension for each image (tested bmp,gif, jpg). Once we have "exposed" the extension, it should be possible create a field to hold the extension (or what ever is needed for a script). I am thinking of recordset - export images AND ID to file - read this file - get line matching record ID - extract image details - write back to record.
    At moment can't see why it would not work but will try technique tonight.

Update: Yes can run a script to add a image extension ref' field to each existing record. Could then use in any other scripts as needed using variables. Just a rough test using existing file (lots of other "experimenting" mixed in) - if someone needed example would need to create cleaner version.
    Regards
    David
    Last edited by tamcind; 04-27-13 at 03:14. Reason: More info

Hi David,

That's great news about export to CSV working correctly with images again in v10.5. I will do some experimenting re getting the extension ref. Cheers.

Matty

Unfortunately acquiring images from a scanner now appears to be broken in v10.5. I step forward, one back. :-(

In addition manually adding a bmp then converting to jpeg within BD and then saving the image from BD to PC appears to sometimes corrupt the ultimate jpeg. I had this with an image which I then tried to upload to ebay and it was rejected as corrupted. I was able to replicate this. Of course that could potentially be an ebay issue but not had it before.

Provided Answers: 54
    Quote Originally Posted by matty1965 View Post
    Unfortunately acquiring images from a scanner now appears to be broken in v10.5. I step forward, one back. :-(
    Depending on styling, that is known as the "upgrade two-step" or the "feature tango". It is best when done with suitable flair, as that detracts from the attention that onlookers pay to the underlying bug!

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Scanners and V10.05

Hi Matty
    While I do not tend to use a scanner for images (camera normally), I set up my Canon Mg5350 to test out V10.05. For my setup it seems to be working, although I would hate to be doing a lot of scanning which seems very slow compared to a camera. Of course everyone has different needs and documents would be impractical with a camera. Tried "save image as" and all seemed to work ok when opened in "MS Paint and Word".
    I should mention that I am using XP SP3 with something called acquire = WIA Canon MG5350" (this seems simpler and more direct but less options) and not a program called "Scangear" which crashes in MS Word and freezes in BD V10.05. Would be great if other members could try out a little scanning with their systems and report back with results (and equipment used) as this is an area where there are many outside variables involved and hard to duplicate).
    Regards David

Hi David,

I'm using a CanoScan LiDE 90. Unfortunately I need to scan to get the required detail. I also need to use the full scan driver rather than the simpler version. :-( No success here as yet with either though.

Matty