Unanswered: Network Databases

I am doing research on network (i.e. IDMS-type) databases. Are there any free/open source network databases available for the PC?

Thanks

Provided Answers: 54
    It seems to me that I've seen an Open Source version of Ramia somewhere, but I'm not completely certain how you'd get it and what you might have to do in order to stay clear of legal entanglements with their commercial product.

I suspect that Roebelle might be considering a commercial product release of an IMAGE related database engine, but that would be specifically for a very small community porting code from the HP MPE operating system, and certainly not of general interest or open source.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Pat: thanks for the reply. I looked into Raima (now called Centura) but there's no indication on the web site of an open source (or 'community') edition. If it's been open sourced under another name I guess I'd need to know that.

As for my interest, I'm familiar with parent-child associations (hierarchical d/bases) but less so with d/bases which allow child-with-one-or-many-parent associations. It's the sort of facility that's used in bill of material/parts list systems in manufacturing systems. I worked with an ICL system called PLUTO back in the day which was such a system.

Paul

Apparently after Centura went bust the assets were acquired by Birdstep and then, in 2010, it was bought back by Raima management.

Provided Answers: 54
    For what it might be worth, bill of materials is easy to handle using Relational databases. I certainly would not choose to go to the effort to find a Network database in order to implement a single problem, especially when there are many easy to use solutions for that problem.

It is not an accident that Network databases died out roughly 40 years ago, and the few remaining implementations also have a relational front end!

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Pat:

... bill of materials is easy to handle using Relational databases
    Yes, this is the conclusion that I've come to - db.* was apparently the open sourced version of Raima but it's primarily a programming API.

There are plenty of open source relational d/bs so that is probably the way I'll go - but I was interested in the network d/b concept and, apparently, IDMS legacy systems are still in use today.

Thanks for your input.

Paul