Post Unanswered: MySQL Installation on Linux using binary file (Installation of system tables failed!)

Hi All,

When i execute mysql installation script as fallows i am getting the below out put:

[mysql@test app]$ scripts/mysql_install_db -–user=mysql

Installing MYSQL system tables....

Installation of system tables failed! Examine the logs in /db/mysql/data for more information.
    You can try to start the mysqld daemon with:

shell> ./bin/mysqld --skip-grant &

and use the command line tool ./bin/mysql
    to connect to the mysql database and look at the grant tables:

shell> ./bin/mysql -u root mysql
    mysql> show tables

Try 'mysqld --help' if you have problems with paths. Using --log gives you a log in /db/mysql/data that may be helpful.

Please consult the MySQL manual section
    'Problems running mysql_install-db', and the manual section that describes problems on your OS. Another information source are the MySQL email archives available at http://lists/

Please check all of the above before mailing us! And remember, if you do email us, you MUST use the ./bin/mysqlbug script!

Can any one plz let me know why this issue occuring.

out on a limb
    Provided Answers: 59
    is this a development server or a live server

if its a development server and you don't know the ins and outs of installing and setting up a server then I'd strongly suggest you use the XAMPP package. its does install a heck of a lot of stiff, probably most of which you wont want but it does get a working server installed. you still have to follow tghe security steps after installation but it just 'work's

it sound to me as if your problems are to do with the configuration file and settign within that.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

In front of the computer
    Provided Answers: 54
    This is probably the root cause of your other problem

In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.