Unanswered: I never use SQL or Macros. I work in this program daily. How am i losing out?

How does writing queries in SQL or using macros create additional benefits? I work in this program daily, and am curious if i could make improvement in my work.

Any thoughts on why i should start learning to use these two features? Thanks.

out on a limb
    Provided Answers: 59
    depends entirely on what you are using Access for
    if you are happy with what you are doing at present then don't sweat it.

if you find yourself being constrained because you can't get plain vanilla Access to do what you want then thats where knowing SQL comes in. personally I wouldn't use macros unless you have to I'd do as much as possible using vba, but thats my hang up

without knowing it you are using SQL, SQL is what he queries you design int he designer are saved as. the query designer is quite a piece of work, but sometimes it cannot compete with writing complex queries (especially where joins or complex grouping is required). I've yet to see how the query designer can handle sub selects

More recent versions of Access support triggers and othger 'stuff' that you have to dip into VBA or SQL to use.

plain vanilla access is fine for small applications (say 15..30 concurrent users), it quickly runs out of grunt with more concurrent users. you can get round that by using using unbound recordsets (but then you loose all the flexibility and simplicity of bound controls on forms and reports, and soem woudl argue you 'should' use a server back end with an Access front end. but once you start going down that route you might as well ask why use Access at all as the advantages of the user interface design are largely lost.

Access is a fantastic piece of software for its purpose, but it isn't the panacea to all / any / every problem. in some ways its too easy to use meaning there is a lot of crap out there created by people who sort of blundered into designing the system without understanding Access's strengths and weaknesses
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Surrey, UK
    Provided Answers: 2
    If you do the same simple tasks over and over again, a macro can run them in order in a fraction of the time.

If you require information obtained from two or more tables that are related, then learning to write queries will allow you to see all data from all tables at once (subject to the size of the dataset).
    10% of magic is knowing something that no-one else does. The rest is misdirection.