Ceneterprise advertisement

I personally prefer proprietary software for commercial use. You might pay more upfront, but with open source I feel like you will pay more overtime because of support. Unless you have some really skilled programmers, I don't see a reason to go with the open source route.

Our company (Data Integration Software | .NET ETL | Data Mapping Software - Astera Software) has a proprietary commercial software and it works really well. Take a look at it for yourself. (Centerprise Data Integrator 5.0)

Also, I have used Talend Open Studio and I can see that it is probably a great application, but I had a tough time using it. I'm not really tech-savvy and that is why it was easier for me to use our software because of the fact that it is already packed with features in a clean way.

This was posted in http://www.dbforums.com/marketplace/...ce-charge.html but was moved here as an advertisement.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

What does everyone think about open source vs. commercial software?

(Centerprise Data Integrator 5.0)

I see advantages and problems with both commercial and Open Source solutions.

With commercial software, the primary problems are:
    1. The cost to purchase the product
    2. The cost for ongoing support
    3. The risk of the company ceasing to sell or support the tool

With Open Source Software, the primary problems are:
    1. Support ranges from excellent (and usually expensive) to DIY (Do It Yourself, often more expensive)
    2. The often hidden costs of finding and retaining qualified IT support to the business.
    3. The often overlooked cost of lost opportunities that are readily available for commercial software

There are lots of excellent, high quality packages that often end up going "head to head" between commercial and Open Source software. Based on a number of independent studies, commercial software costs more up front, Open Source costs more over the life of the product. As a direct correlation to that cost, if you find and manage the right IT staff the end user and customer satisfaction with Open Source can be higher than commercial software but this is very, very rare.

Both sides have distinct characters and their own costs and benefits. People tend to find one side or the other more appealing and develop a nearly religious fanaticism. In the long run most businesses do better (are more profitable) in the long run using commercial software, although the exceptions to the rule are usually huge.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Great Analysis Pat. I personally like the idea of commercial more just because I'm not real tech-savvy when it comes to coding or programming. If I were a manager of a company who was starting some sort of data integration project, I would like to be able to use the software and understand it without assistance from a programmer.

I have tested out an open source ETL tool (will not disclose name) and I thought it was a little bit too complex for me. I have used Centerprise Data Integrator and on the first try I was able to feel comfortable enough with the software. I have also used another ETL tool (will not disclose name) and I though that one was also just as simple to use and easy to get comfortable with.

(Centerprise Data Integrator 5.0)

This being an open forum, there's no reason not to disclose the names of the products you tested, along with the product of the company you work for.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com