Provided Answers: 17

Unanswered: Tablets & Brilliant Database

Hi Guys.
    I have an ACER W500 and a ACER W700 Tablet PC.

One runs Windows 7, and the other runs Windows 8 and neither will run Brilliant Database right at all.

The second I select an option in the script design like ""layout", brilliant database crashes on both machine and gives the following error.

Code:
    Problem signature:
      Problem Event Name:	APPCRASH
      Application Name:	BDB_SDK.exe
      Application Version:	8.0.0.0
      Application Timestamp:	518b8f0c
      Fault Module Name:	COMCTL32.ocx
      Fault Module Version:	6.0.80.22
      Fault Module Timestamp:	34c80716
      Exception Code:	c0000005
      Exception Offset:	00027e4c
      OS Version:	6.2.9200.2.0.0.256.103
      Locale ID:	6153
      Additional Information 1:	aa43
      Additional Information 2:	aa434cbfa6aa159f003a35d89550963d
      Additional Information 3:	aa3b
      Additional Information 4:	aa3b505aca01247ca7caeb9a2c83aaac
    Any idea what this means?

Regards
    James

Oooooohhhh how typical. Hate it when this happens.

I have put up with this problem for quite a while and no sooner do I post this asking for help, I accidentally find the solution.

It seems COMCTL32.ocx that Brilliant Database installs is an old file. I downloaded the Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0 Common Controls pack from Microsoft, and … hey presto. It's working.

Download Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0 Common Controls from Official Microsoft Download Center

lol...

Regards
    James

Provided Answers: 54
    The "Exception code" from your output is also known as an HRESULT. 0xc000005 implies an access violation, usually an uninitialized pointer.

In most (if not all) cases, this is caused by one of two things... Either code is calling a DLL with a NULL pointer (a memory address with a value of 0) that is typically caused by a bug of some kind, or the software package that the DLL belongs to was not properly or completely installed. There are some other cases that can cause 0xc0000005 to be returned, but those are so rare that I wouldn't waste time even looking for them until I had exhausted every other possibility.

There are two possibilities here. I'd first check FIX: The Windows Common Controls Mscomctl.ocx or Comctl32.ocx may cause your application or the Visual Basic 6 IDE to unexpectedly quit, or you may receive a "Divide By Zero" error message and install the control set, just to be sure that everything is Ok with the COMCTL32.OCX. After that is done, if you still have a problem then I'd be willing to take long odds on a large wager that the problem lies within BDB_SDK.EXE where it calls some entry point in COMCTL32.OCX.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Quote Originally Posted by Tubbritt View Post
    It seems COMCTL32.ocx that Brilliant Database installs is an old file. I downloaded the Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0 Common Controls pack from Microsoft, and hey presto. It's working.[/url]
    Does this mean BD is written in VB6, a development environment that came out of mainstream support in 2005 and extended support in 2008? Is that a bit worrying?

Matty

Provided Answers: 54
    No, this doesn't shed much light on what was used to write BD.

The VB6.0 controls in COMCTL32.OCX were very, very popular for a long time. They are key factors to supporting features that nearly every program wants to use that Microsoft was reluctant to build into the Windows Kernel or device drivers.

Even the most current version of Visual Studio has provisions to access the features in the COMCTL32.OCX controls when generating code for legacy systems (specifically Windows XP, but other platforms too). Many third party products like Delphi and nearly every Open Source product (including the Windows-Aware version of Java) uses COMCTL32.OCX.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Thanks a million for that Pat.
    Certainly help understanding what’s going on, that's for sure. After installing the VB6 pack from Microsoft, I spent much of last night just messing around with Brilliant Database on my Tablet and it does indeed seem to be working extremely well now. For me this is quite useful as the ACER W700 has a 1080P screen and great battery life.

Regards
    James