I am using this shell script

#!/bin/bash
    dbname=$1
    schema=$2
    table=$3
    tbspace=EMP_201305
    datatbsmon=201305
    newmon=201306
    db2look -d $dbname -l -z $schema - t $table|grep -ip $tbspace|sed 's/'$datatbsmon'/'$newmon'/' > tbs.ddl

(the tablespace names are like xxxxxx_201305 where 201305 denotes year and month)

after i execute this shell script (using sh script.sh sampledb EMPLOYEE EMP_DATA),...... tbs.ddl is empty file and it shows nothing.

But when I execute the below command in command prompt,

db2look -d sampledb -l -z Employee -t EMP_DATA|grep -ip EMP_201305|sed 's/201305/201306/g' > tbs.ddl

tbs.ddl has the ddl for the tablespace EMP_201306.

Please help me resolve this issue as i need to create the new tablespace based on the naming convention of the previous tablespace and I need to do it using shell script.

Thanks,
    Rupesh.

Provided Answers: 54
    Was there any console output between the time you started the script and the time that the next prompt appeared on your screen?

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

yes, there was output displayed on the console from db2look........ the first few commented lines of db2look like

--User was not mentioned blah blah

-- Schema ignored for federated tables etc.
    Last edited by 333rupesh; 05-11-13 at 14:27.

Have you tried to output the following line in the shell script with the values and confirmed whether the command is properly formatted ?

db2look -d $dbname -l -z $schema - t $table|grep -ip $tbspace|sed 's/'$datatbsmon'/'$newmon'/' > tbs.ddl

yes, I did

echo "db2look -d $dbname -l -z $schema - t $table|grep -ip $tbspace|sed 's/'$datatbsmon'/'$newmon'/' > tbs.ddl"

and this displayed me the correct values and also they were properly formatted.