Developing new website, need some advice

Hey guys,

I'm a newbie trying to figure out what direction I should take with my web site. I have designed several web sites using HTML, PHP, and CSS but I have very limited experience with databases, and what I need to do, I suspect, will require one.

I am a medical student planning on creating a non-profit health grades style web site. However, it will be very different in two ways 1) it is intended for a specific niche of patients that other sites do not cater to 2) I really just want the database aspect and will not have a scoring or grading system. Basically, Doctors will be able to sign up and make a profile and patients can search for said doctors in a given city for a certain specialty.

How should I go about doing this? What program would allow me to do this the best? I have some money to spend on this venture but would like to keep it to a minimum.

Thanks!

You can get appropriate software for free, so if you want to spend any money, try getting a good book or a consultant. Alternatively, stock up on pizza and caffeine and hit the database design resources thread.

I would STRONGLY suggest that you consider using a CMS (Content Management System). In order from most powerful/complex to least, I'd recommend: Drupal - Open Source CMS | drupal.org then Powered by You! :: XOOPS Web Application System and also Joomla! The CMS Trusted By Millions for their Websites.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.