Unanswered: Help with Laboratory database design

Hi guys,

The company I work for test water samples and then the results from the various tests are typed in a word document.

But it is difficult to type 100s of reports in ms word everyday and then to also type the results in a summary in excel.

What I want to do is create a database in access so that the complete report won't have to be retyped every year and just the new results can be entered. and also write a query to select only the latest results.

A quick draft I did on a sticky note:

Municipality many foreman, but each foreman works for only one municipality
    foreman has 1 or more water plants assigned to him and only 1 foreman can be in charge of the various plants at a time.
    Each plant has a unique serial number.
    There are various tests done on a plant each year. so a plant can have more than one results.
    Past results also need to be saved.

I have everything figured out what I am struggling with is the past results table though.

How will I go about designing the past results table, so that past results are automatically stored in the old table when new tests are done.

Something else I have considered is giving each sample a different number. then I can just write an SQL query to retrieve data from a specific year.

out on a limb
    Provided Answers: 59
    why have a past results table.
    if you store the sate and time a sample was taken defacto you know what is current and what is past
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Dear Sirs, your problem is more than one topic in this forum. It is also a very nice example that points out the need for:
    1 Process analysis and process modeling
    2 Data analysis and data modeling
    3 Application development.

1 The first step - process analysis and modeling of the process is necessary in terms of identifying the holder of information (documents, reports, regulations) and the participants who create and use information. One of the methods by which these phases produces the IDEF0 method (IDEF0). There is software that is included inside this method and it is CA Erwin ProcessModeller as CASE tools.

2 The second step - Data analysis and data modeling, a description of the contents of the above identified information. One of the methods by which these phases produces the IDEF0 method (IDEF1X). There is software that is included inside this method and it is CA Erwin DataModeller as CASE tools. The CASE tool has the ability to generate a data model designed in Microsoft Access database.

3 Step Three - Development of applications. Only now we can talk about the application of Microsoft Access to develop application that should support the processes that were identified in the first step and the data are defined in the second step.

When developing applications it is possible to go back to previous steps to adjust to the new perceived needs and requirements.