Unanswered: DB2 full online backup & incremental backup

Hello Everyone,

I'm a System Admin and interested to know about the DB2 backups. Please see my question below. (**BPM is new in our environment)

Q) We are using IBM DB2 and IBM BPM in our environment. As part of DB2 utility...
    Can we run FULL ONLINE BACKUP of DB2 Database while BPM/Applications are running ?
    or do we need to stop all the applications/BPM for DB2 FULL Backup /every wk?

Is it a problem if we take concurrent DB2 FULL Backup ?
    i heard that, BPM is not in sync..... when we restore FULL ONLINE Backup copy on Database.

Please advise.

Provided Answers: 5
    I do not know what BPM is, but DB2 LUW can do a online backup (full, incremental, or delta) with users attached.

Andy

Thanks Andy for your prompt response. Appreciate it.

BPM is middleware just like Websphere/weblogic/jboss

BPM has Websphere application server and process server integrated in it.

(IBM What is BPM?)

We've deployed the applications on to BPM.

our environment
    (OS -AIX
    middleware -BPM
    DB - DB2)

Like I alluded to, DB2 really does not care what is connected. Doing an online backup with any type of connections is supported and quite easy to do. I am not sure I know what you by by taking "concurrent DB2 FULL Backup". You can only have one backup operation running on a database at any time--why would you want to run more than one.

Andy

hmm...its not like more than 1 backup operation Andy

but just checking..the flexibility to run either FULL ONLINE or incremental backup one at a time. (*not together)
    we've found that incremental is doing ok.

i had a question, like can we run FULL ONLINE Backup with out stopping the apps. because someone complained that, ONLINE FULL Backup while BPM is running is not good.
    they saw some issues.

Thanks much for your response and ideas!

Yes, you can take any kind of online backup without stopping the apps. It will take resources to do this and will affect operations. Backups are usually delegated to low activity times. You can also have the backups throttled so they take up less resources.

Andy

oh..k, got you....i will share your input to our DBA's here in my organization.
    Thanks again Andy!

Small tip.
    Taking online backups is only supported if the database is configured for archive logging.

yep.....our DBA enabled/configured the archive logging and active logging \
    Thanks for your response.