newbie and stuck

Hi Folks,

i'm fairly new to databases, and a currently trying something outside my comfort zone,

i'm trying to create a database where the person can select a location from a pre set list each location is stored with its own lat and long "site lat" "site long" for example, i'm am stuck on how to filter table on a form to display all clubs within distance X from the selection, each club has individual "club lat", "club Long"

not sure where to post this or what other details are required for you guys to advise

cheers for your time
    Karl

store the lat & long of each facility
    how you capture the users location / strat point is up to you
    the using the algholrythm from moveable-type calculate the distance
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

I had stored the lat long for each facility and also each persons selectable loction. And have the equation the part im stuck on is how to get the selection from the drop down menu to run the equation and disply results. Sorry for delay am working away from home at the moment

presumably you are specifying a location and then requesting what facilities there within a location, or what facilities are by distance.

if it were me I'd get the current lcoation
    extract the data
    do your distance / barign calculations then stuff the values into a collection or array
    sort the the collection or array
    present the data

I suspect writing 2 UDF's and calling them within SQL, although could be done could be a performance hog, especially if you want to sort or limit rows
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Cheers I'll give that a try