Unanswered: Informix Migration/Replication

Can I leverage Db replication to help keep downtime to a minimum during system migration? ...looking for a sanity check here.

I’m in the process of migrating a company’s legacy enterprise system to new hardware and current version(s) of IDS and 4gl.
    The company wants to relocate the new server to a facility in another state before it goes live.

The servers currently reside in the same facility.
    Once the new server is in place/sync, the old server will be taken off-line.
    (I know there are other steps here but I’m looking for a general sanity check)
    I’m hoping for a little more sophistication rather than just shipping/transmitting backup data to the new server and reloading .

The environment is the classic IDS/4gl legacy set up running on an IBM/AIX platform.
    The current production server is running Aix 5.3, IDS 10, 4gl 7.32
    The new server is running Aix 6.1, IDS 11.7, 4gl 7.50.

Thanks in advance for your insight.
    -Steve

Provided Answers: 1
    Hi Steve,

the Informix MACH 11 technology allows you to do this, but you need to be at least running 11.70 xC1 to be able to use the Informix GRID (based on ER)

The grid allows replication between different versions of Informix (minimum 11.70 xC1 and above) and also different OS/hardware platforms.

In your case, to use this techno, you would need a add a first step consisting in migration the 'old' server to 11.70 first of all.

Check this very interesting article: i think this is what you want to do

What data size are we talking about ?

BeGood,

Thanks for the response. And thanks for the link.

From a size stand point my ontape utility creates a 170GB file.
    I have 108GB of raw "unloaded" data.

Sounds like replication is not an option unless I upgrade the older server.

s

Provided Answers: 1
    True, you must run at least 11.70, but the migration path from 10 is direct. Most important is to check the data integrity and to indentify eventual ALTER IN PLACE statements here (and fix them, no big deal). the rest of the operation is very quick (a few minutes, according to the number of databases of your instance).

When your migration scenario has been well prepared and rehearsed, the process can take 15minutes or less of downtime, according to the number of databases your have in this instance. I have done this several times this year and last year on big instances.

So the first migration step from 10 to 11.70 is not such a big issue. I would still consider it.

When your situation has been well ready and practiced, the procedure can just could have taken 15minutes or less of recovery time, according to the variety of data source you have in this example. I have done this several periods this season and last season with a friend at a scale.

marketing solutions
    Last edited by Steffanblue; 09-02-13 at 01:35.