Unanswered: DB2 32 bit client installed or not???

Dear All,
    need help on couple of questions regarding DB2 Server/Client installation.

A) I have installed 64 bit DB2 9.7 enterprise server edition. and I need to access 32 bit DB2 client. I believe DB2 client (32bit and 64 bit) must be automatically installed when the server instance is installed. Please confirm if my understanding is correct.
    B) I could see following output using db2level and db2ls commands however I believe it shows db2 server information but not client details. in that case how should I validate if 32 bit client is already installed on my system.

db2level

==========================
    DB21085I Instance "db2inst1" uses "64" bits and DB2 code release "SQL09070"
    with level identifier "08010107".
    Informational tokens are "DB2 v9.7.0.0", "s090521", "LINUXAMD6497", and Fix
    Pack "0".
    Product is installed at "/data/db2/V9.7".

db2ls -a

Install Path Level Fix Pack Special Install Number Install Date Installer UID
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    /data/db2/V9.7 9.7.0.0 0 Wed Mar 20 15:36:11 2013 IST 0

Thanks for your help

Provided Answers: 11
    when you install 64b server - client is also installed
    64b instance supports a 32b client to connect
    if you need a 32b client on same server machine (see if available) you can install this client only in a different path and create a client instance to use this 32b client code
    Best Regards, Guy Przytula
    Database Software Consultant
    Good DBAs are not formed in a week or a month. They are created little by little, day by day. Protracted and patient effort is needed to develop good DBAs.
    Spoon feeding : To treat (another) in a way that discourages independent thought or action, as by overindulgence.
    DB2 UDB LUW Certified V7-V8-V9-V9.7-V10.1-V10.5 DB Admin - Advanced DBA -Dprop..
    Information Server Datastage Certified
    http://www.infocura.be

Thank you Guy.
    so you are saying that if 64b server is installed, 64b client would be installed automatically and 32 bit client to be installed separately to a different path.

Is there any way to validate if 32 bit client is already installed on the system.

Thanks

Provided Answers: 11
    a 32bit client can connect to this server (32b or 64b server installation)
    do you need a 32b client on this server ? for a specific purpose ?
    yes, you can install different copies/versions of db2 on same machine
    I don't know if install of 32b product on 64b is always supported - to be checked in info center.
    remote clients (32 or 64b) can always connect. client code is only needed if a local application needs to be started or clp is being used..
    please clarify
    Best Regards, Guy Przytula
    Database Software Consultant
    Good DBAs are not formed in a week or a month. They are created little by little, day by day. Protracted and patient effort is needed to develop good DBAs.
    Spoon feeding : To treat (another) in a way that discourages independent thought or action, as by overindulgence.
    DB2 UDB LUW Certified V7-V8-V9-V9.7-V10.1-V10.5 DB Admin - Advanced DBA -Dprop..
    Information Server Datastage Certified
    http://www.infocura.be

Actually we need to get some out of the box report from a different IBM product cognos and documntation suggest that 32 bit DB2 client of same version must be installed to get the reports.
    We have all applications installed on same machine.
    Hope this clarifies.

Provided Answers: 1
    Some of the DB2 client files are installed as a part of the server, but not all. Some libraries will be present in both 32-bit and 64-bit versions.

Unless you know exactly what files you need, I suggest you install an appropriate 32-bit client package separately.
    ---
    "It does not work" is not a valid problem statement.

Quote Originally Posted by talk1234 View Post
    Actually we need to get some out of the box report from a different IBM product cognos and documntation suggest that 32 bit DB2 client of same version must be installed to get the reports.
    We have all applications installed on same machine.
    Hope this clarifies.
    1. The 32 bit DB2 Client is not automatically installed on a DB2 64 bit server machne. You would have to install that separately.
    2. Your understanding that the 32 bit client is needed for Cognos is probably mistaken, although I cannot say for certain. A 32 bit client is only needed for a client machine that has a 32 bit operating system installed.
    3. You are completely suicidal to be running DB2 9.7 Fixpack 0. The latest for 9.7 is Fixpack 8, and I suggest you apply that.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

Thanks for your help. I had one more question. I get following error when I try to install db2 32bit 9.7 data server client on 64 bit machine

DBI1198E There has been an attempt to use db2setup on an image for aa platform that does not match the current Linux/x86-64' on which it is being run.

Is it anyway possible to install db2 32 bit data server client on 64 bit machine.

Regards,