Unanswered: What does it mean to certify db2 v10?

Hello,

I am applying for a job as db2 engineer and one of the requirement is to Certify DB2 v10. Company is moving from db2 9.7 to 10. I do not exactly know what it involves to certify db2 10 databases.

Also, I have not worked on db2 for last 4 years and i was db2 guy for 6 years before that. Are there any resources to quickly refresh my knowledge about db2 9 and 10?

Thank you

IBM offers certification of DB2 DBA skills (and also for many other products) which is accomplished by passing exams. In the US the exams are conducted by Prometric (not sure about other countries). Try Google.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

Not that

Thank you but that is not what it means. It is some sort of procedure companies use to certify ( stamp of approval to go into production ) their databases when migrate from lower to higher version. I do not know what those processes are.

Quote Originally Posted by jagdip View Post
    Thank you but that is not what it means. It is some sort of procedure companies use to certify ( stamp of approval to go into production ) their databases when migrate from lower to higher version. I do not know what those processes are.
    No, it is to certify you as a DBA that you know the DB2 product. According to your initial post, the company has a requirement that people who apply for the job be a DB2 Certified DBA for release 10.1. Since I am only certified on DB2 9.7, I guess I am not qualified.
    M. A. Feldman

Thank you for your answer but like i said earlier, it is not about certification in db2. there is a process companies follow to certify databases after migration. I do not know what that process looks like

Provided Answers: 54
    I've never heard of a process that certifies a database, but this could be a process used internally by a specific company. You'd have to ask them how they certify a database, since that isn't a standard practice within the industry.

Database Administrators can be certified by demonstrating product knowledge and skills. IBM provides the zOS and Linix/Unix/Widnows tests for this process, and there are companies around the world which administer those tests. This is a well known and well accepted practice within the database (and specifically the DB2) industry.

Only the company offering the database certification can help you with that, because only that company will know what process they use. Many people here at DBForums and other places around the world can help you become certified as a DB2 Version 10 Administrator.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

There is a DB2 command that can be run called db2ckupgrade that will verify whether your existing DB2 instance and database can be successfully migrated to V10.1. But this is not a "certification" it is a verification.
    M. A. Feldman