Question Unanswered: MS Access 2007 Application for Vacation.

Hi Everybody,

I have recently given a task to develop an application in ms access 2007 to keep record of employee vacation for fiscal year starting from Jan 01 to Dec 31.

I have collected the information based on current setup and developed the following tables:

1) Department
    DepartID (AutoNumber)
    DepartName
    2) Nationaity
    NationID (AutoNumber)
    Nationality
    3) Region
    RegionID (AutoNumber) \\\\\Basically we have only three regions: Western/Eastern/Central
    RegionDesc
    4) Employee
    EmpID (Primary Key with Manual Entry of 5 Numaric Code)
    EmpPic
    First/Middle/Last
    Title
    Department
    Nationality
    Region
    JoiningDate
    VacEntitled \\\\\ In our company all employees are getting 22 days if it is less than 5 years
    from the date of joining and 30 days for 5 years or more.

Now I want to add more tables in a way that I should have two forms for vacation. One form when an employee apply for vacation. This form will validate the vacation plan based on available days.

Second form is for when an employee come back from vacation where we will enter actual return date.

I also need following reports:

1. List of employees by Department/Nationalities/Region
    2. Employee history of vacation
    3. And some more……

Please help me....I have only this week to finalize it. I appreciate your quick response and any better idea for implement this.

Best regards, Qayyum

Provided Answers: 2
    You haven't stated what the validation rules are. What restrictions are in place to make sure that you have sufficient coverage for a given department or region?

Why are your work vacations not fixed in length? How can your managers guarantee that they will have enough warm bodies to do the work if they don't know when people will be coming back into the office?

You will need another table - EmployeeVacations. This will need:
    • Employee ID
    • Start date
    • End date
    • Holiday year (assuming that you are allowed to carry entitlement over from one year to the next
    • Any other fields relating to the vacation period that will be useful

Make the first three fields form the primary key. If you need to record half days, you will need other fields to indicate this as well.

Once you have the structure in place, the queries to extract information for reports become easier. The reports should be last, on the grounds that designing reports in Access can be one hell of a time sink!
    10% of magic is knowing something that no-one else does. The rest is misdirection.

Dear Weejas,

Thanks a lot for your response.

Presently our HR department doing it manually mean paper work.

We have about 100 employees on Contract basis (1 year standard contract term) with single shift from 8am to 5pm.

Employees are entitled for 22 or 30 days annual leave paid/unpaid depending on the length of the job i.e. 22 days for 0 to <5 year job length and 30 days for =>5.

Annual leave can be availed in one shot or intermittent for i.e. I can take 30 days vacation twice or thrice but we are not allowed to carry forward to next year. Any remaining vacation will become zero next year.

Medical/any other leave is handled separately. no half day concept.

Hope this will provide some in depth information to think further on this issue.

Thanks and best regards, Qayyum

Provided Answers: 2
    Have a play with the attached. It's not perfect, but it will hopefully be a start.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    10% of magic is knowing something that no-one else does. The rest is misdirection.

Dear Weejas,

Thanks a lot for this file. I will work on it tomorrow and will get you back to discuss further.

This seems to be exactly what I am looking for. I need to grow it little bit more to add some information in table. I will get you back with updated tables to discuss next step.

Many thanks,

Revised Tables and Forms.

Dear Weejas,

I was just playing around and trying to add/modify tables according to our requirement. I have the following observations on tables and forms:

1. I prefer entitled days vacation to be calculated automatically based on joining date.
    2. Employee photo to be linked on the phone.
    3. EmpID and detail to be appeared in main form. Subform to be used only for vacation detail. I have deleted EmpID from subform and added some fields related to vacation.
    4. I Observed the relationship of some tables that I have added does not show the results...no data from foreign key shown in the form.

I appreciate for all your time and efforts.

Best regards, Qayyum
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by mqayyum; 06-03-13 at 10:00.

hi
    please how can i access this database, i am sure it will be helpful for me, because i want to create similar application but i dont know how. Please I will highly apprecaite if i can get a copy of this sample.
    thanks.

hi

Hi i would like a copy too please. The latest zip file seems to be empty.

Question Leave Types

How can i add leave types. Annual=15, Casual=3, Medical=5

I mean all employees should be alloted multiple type of leaves and only annual leave carry forward and all other leaves expires at the end of year defined.

Your help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks.