Unanswered: DB2 TSA 2 instances 1 database

Hello people,

can anyone tell me if it is possible to have TSA setted up with 2 instances (on different machines) sharing the same database (network mounted)? I want to have something like an "instance failover".

Thanks.

Provided Answers: 1
    I don't think DB2 supports NFS-mounted database paths -- you'd need GPFS for sharing or set up storage replication.
    ---
    "It does not work" is not a valid problem statement.

DB2 does not require GPFS to do that, but the cluster manager has to remount the drives each time a failover is done, so they are not NFS mounted. Years ago I did that HACMP on AIX with DB2. It might be able to be done with TSA, but HADR is so much better than that kind of configuration that it is worth the extra disk space requirements.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

Hmm I think I found what I was looking here: DB2 10.1 High Availability using Active/Passive with Shared Database | Zinox

After reading this guide I guess hadr with tsa (for automatic takeover) is a more straightforward solution. :P

Btw is there a possibility of having an active / active topology with TSA or for that kind of things someone should look into purescale?

Quote Originally Posted by Haros View Post
    Hmm I think I found what I was looking here: DB2 10.1 High Availability using Active/Passive with Shared Database | Zinox

After reading this guide I guess hadr with tsa (for automatic takeover) is a more straightforward solution. :P

Btw is there a possibility of having an active / active topology with TSA or for that kind of things someone should look into purescale?
    PureScale is active/active. Only other active/active solution is bi-directional replication, which can get quite complicated.

Keep in mind that for HADR, the DB2 license cost on the standby server is only a flat 100 PVU's, regardless of the size of the primary database server (number and type of CPU cores). 100 PVU's are equivalent to about 2 CPU cores or less (most of the latest processors are 70-100 PVU's per core).
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

Quote Originally Posted by n_i View Post
    I don't think DB2 supports NFS-mounted database paths -- you'd need GPFS for sharing or set up storage replication.
    Sure? I thought NFS storage path's are supporte now. Not propagated, but supported. Some SAN's use NFS.
    Your comment about GPFS makes me wonder: could the same be achieved with GLusterFS? You could save yourselves a lot of coins...
    Somewhere between " too small" and " too large" lies the size that is just right.
    - Scott Hayes