Thread: Newbie here

Newbie here

Hi

Not sure where to start. I want to learn to use SQL as I want to work in an MI role within insurance or banking. Now which should I look to learn: Oracle or MySQL server? Which is most commonly used in these sectors? Is certification worth it? Job descriptions always ask for commercial experience not certification. But few companies willing to offer training in it.

Cheers

Based on my experience, most banks seem to use Sybase, Microsoft SQL Server, DB2, then Oracle. I don't know of any banks using MySQL for line-of-business operations.

If you mean Mortgage Insurance, every insurance company that I've worked with is using Microsoft SQL Server for analytical purposes, although they seem to favor DB2 for their portfolio management.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Phelan View Post
    Based on my experience, most banks seem to use Sybase, Microsoft SQL Server, DB2, then Oracle. I don't know of any banks using MySQL for line-of-business operations.

-PatP
    Thanks for the reply. That's interesting. I spoke to someone offering SQL courses and they said that their research shows they use oracle more in insurance and banking rather than Microsoft SQL Server. So they recommended I take the Oracle course. I am based in the UK. Good thing I didn't go ahead with the course.

Oracle is a great company and they make a fine database product, but based on the industry that you want to work in there are probably better choices. If you want to work in analytics, I'd recommend Microsoft SQL Server and especially their Analysis Services product. Most of my financial clients in the UK used Sybase, but I haven't worked in London or the financial industry for about seven years so things may have changed.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.