Smile Database Design/Schema

Hello,
    Im trying to design a database for the company I work for and I'm having difficulty deciding which route to go, I signed up to the forum in hopes for an intelligent conversation about db. The company receives a master file from the client and all the queries we do are off this master file , Im trying to convince the company to make a relational database system and to normalize the data and I cant fully portray what the benefits are because my co workers havent really been exposed to database before, any tips?

Quote Originally Posted by l3en0it View Post
    I signed up to the forum in hopes for an intelligent conversation about db.
    Way to apply the pressure!

Quote Originally Posted by l3en0it View Post
    Im trying to convince the company to make a relational database system and to normalize the data and I cant fully portray what the benefits are
    Uhm...what are the alternative solutions?
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

Db

Well as of right now they try to establish relationships(joining) at the query level and often run into problems , especially because our client will have specific requests and usually are different from job to job. They have been conducting business for awhile but they also often have alot of downtime trying to figure out problems with the way the processes have been set up ( A laundry list up queries like updates , etc.) There are no relationships on the table level and it can be quite frustrating because Im new to the company and the person who ran and developed the db system before literally never created and primary keys or entity relationships so it has been difficult. So In regards to alternative solutions , in this case they would just try to tweak their current system and continue to use it , which often runs into more issues. Basically re-inventing the wheel in the shape of an egg lol
    Last edited by l3en0it; 05-30-13 at 12:08.