Unanswered: Combo box question about linking data in separate columns

Hello all. I've found many great answers about using a combo box to populate other columns with fixed information. I think my question is a little different but if any of you know of a thread that answers this one then please point me in the right direction.

So here goes:
    I have a column with a combo box that is for test taking attempts (1st attempt, 2nd attempt, 3rd attempt). I've made the next column with combo boxes that say pass or fail. I want to be able to link a pass or fail with a specific attempt from the first column. So for example, I select 1st attempt, the next column can be selected for fail. 2nd attempt, fail. 3rd attempt, pass. Of course each student would have different passes or fails for each attempt.

I hope my question is clear.

Thanks,
    Jen

Hi all. I've been trying to find an answer to this but haven't been successful so far. Does anyone have any tips that may help me? Thanks.

Your question is unclear. You have a ComboBox with value choices of 1st attempt, 2nd attempt, 3rd attempt. Is it that you have a second ComboBox with choices pass, fail? And you want to restrict the choices based on what is selected in the first CombBox? Please clarify.

Hello! I'm sorry I wasn't as clear as I wanted to be.
    I am working on a student database. I have a column that is a combo box with values of 1st, 2nd, and 3rd (as in testing attempts). The column after that is a combo box with values of pass or fail.
    Let's say student A failed the first two attempts and passed the third. I want to "tie" the fail to 1st attempt and 2nd attempt, and the pass to the 3rd - for that particular student. That way, when I do queries or make charts, I can select for those attempts and see that pass and fail rates for each particular attempt.
    I hope that is more clear.

So are you adding a new record for each attempt? Suc that each record contains field something like StudentID, TestID, Attempt, Result. Read up on using Dcount and aggregate functions. As an example:

Code:
    3rdAttPassPer = FormatPercent(Dcount("*","tblAttempts","[Attempt]='3rd' And [Result]='Pass') / Dcount(("*","tblAttempts","[Attempt]='3rd'))
    This can be included as the source for an Unbound control in a report or form or can be used in VBA.

Thank you. I will read up on those.

Okay I've read about what you suggested and I don't think it's quite what I'm looking for.

Here are screen shots of a sample table. Now when I go back to that student's record, I want to see which attempts were passed and which were failed. So when I go to the attempts column, I select 1st and it says he failed; I select 2nd attempt and he failed that one too; I select 3rd attempt and he passed. Yay!

I want, for each student, to able to do this. I haven't been able to figure out how to get pass or fail "linked" (for lack of a better word) to each attempt. Is there a way to do this without writing a bunch of code for each student?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg   4.jpg   5.jpg  

Provided Answers: 2
    Uh, this data design looks unstable. You are changing the record each time - where are you recording the student's testing history?
    If you are planning this design for a table to hold student data, then this is a subtle breach of normal form. For this scenario, I would use three tables:
    tblStudents
    StudentID, Forename, Surname, etc.

tblExams
    ExamID, ExamName, etc.

tblExamSittings
    StudentID, ExamID, SittingDate, Attempt, Result

This will allow you to show exactly what has happened to each student, without over-writing the previous attempt each time.
    10% of magic is knowing something that no-one else does. The rest is misdirection.

Yes, I agree with weejas. You should have a record of each attempt and the pass/fail status. This is why you are struggling.

Ok, thank you. I will try out the multiple tables.