Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unanswered: I am asking your help!

Hi All,
    I'm very new to this forum and this is my first post.
    Okay, I need a ledger account template where I can make ledger, trail balance, Journal voucher, balance sheet etc.
    I've search over long time on internet but failed to find exactly want I want.
    If anybody have something like this please response quickly.

Cheers,

Provided Answers: 59
    ever heard of google?
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

I'm very much sure that someone of this forum will help me.

Provided Answers: 2
    If you haven't been able to find exactly* what you want via a Google search, then you have some options:
    • Find one that's reasonably close and use that
    • Engage a database designer, provide them with a full set of specifications and a cheque
    • Learn how Access works and build your own accounting database

While you are correct in your belief that someone on this forum will help you, your ideas of help appear to be different to ours. This forum is primarily to provide assistance - an additional set (or 20) of eyes to spot the obvious typo that you can't see, or the fact that you're trying to use an inappropriate method or function call. It is not here to do your work for you, or to provide fully-functioning applications free of charge.

If you have a question about designing such a database, or even how to go about designing one, you will find yourself with more answers than you would think possible. Asking open-ended, vaguely demanding questions will not.

* From experience, finding EXACTLY what you want on Google is unusual, unless you are searching for something specific. The link that healdem provided includes many links to accounting database templates...
    10% of magic is knowing something that no-one else does. The rest is misdirection.

I think I understand what you are saying. Actually recently I'm trying to make an accounting application and for that I've downloaded many samples, visit and check many threads or forum post. I need to check myself is my database is going right way or wrong way.

Thanks again for quick response.
    Cheers

You're welcome!

From here, if you're having trouble still, I would advise that you post what you're trying to achieve, what you've tried so far and what happened. That will give other forum users an idea of what to suggest.
    10% of magic is knowing something that no-one else does. The rest is misdirection.

Okay, I'm trying to make a database where all transactionDate would be current date (It would be Date() function). But there will be an option or facility for entry in back date?

Yes, if you get things right.

You can set the default value for date fields to the the current system date, but that doesn't prevent you from over-writing them with something else. How difficult you want to make that for your users is up to you.

I want to set password in my database so that nobody could open tables, reports, modules, form etc. in design mood and also I want to insert back dated entry within back dated serial, is it possible?

Provided Answers: 14
    1. The best approach to secure an Access database (.mdb or .accdb) consists in converting it to a "compiled" version (.mde or .accde) and to distribute it as a run-time. Do not expect the same level of security as what can be found in products such as MS SQL Server or Oracle, though.
    See: 10 tips for securing a Microsoft Access database | TechRepublic or google for "securing an access database" (about 46.700 résults).

2. As a one shot, you can create then execute an Update query that will replace Null values in a column of a table with a given date:
    Code:
    UPDATE [TableName] SET [ColumnName] = SomeValue WHERE [ColumnName] Is Null;
    Have a nice day!

You are helpful, Thanks

Okay here is another one,
    In my form I want to add a button (SAVE) with some conditions. When anyone click the save button to save current database, a text box will appear where I need to insert a secret code and click Okay button. Then record will save otherwise record will be deleted or lost.

1. You do not "save a database" as you would save an Excel Workbook or a Word document.
    - If you open a table or a SELECT query (which should never happen in the normal use of a database), all changes made to the data in that table of in the table that's the source of the query (the FROM... in the SQL expression) is immediately stored (*).
    - If you open a bound form (which is the more common way of using a database in production), the changes are committed when you change the current record, or when you close the form, or when you explicitly save the current record (*). There are means to change that behaviour but they imply writing vba procedures in the module of the form and such a task can be quite complex.
    - If you open an unbound form, you need to write vba procedures to save the modified data and supply a mean to call them (AfterUpdate event of the controls, Command button, custom Menu, etc.). Again, such a task can be quite complex.

(*) Provided that the new data is consistent with the expected data type defined in the table and provided that the new value(s) do not infringe any constraint that can exist on the data.

2. About forms, see: Introduction to forms - Access - Office.com and: Microsoft Access Forms Design - Page 1

3. There is usually no need to ask for a password or an authorization code before saving the data. You can create an Access application that can work in Read-Only mode or in Read/Write mode, depending on a code entered when the application is open or according the the current user of the application. For finding who's the current user of the application, see: API: Get Login name. Again, such a task can be quite complex.

4. In any case, one of the first thing to do consists in splitting the database according to the Front-End/Back-End model. Access has an assistant (Wizard) that can do that for you. See: Split an Access database - Access - Office.com, Using Access to build a front end for SQL Server | TechRepublic and Microsoft Access Split Database Architecture to Support Multiuser Environments, Improve Performance, and Simplify Maintainability.
    Have a nice day!

Thanks guys

You're welcome!
    Have a nice day!