Unanswered: DB2 DBA for z/OS Interview Questions

Hi,

I am mainframe developer with 4 yrs of EXP as mainframe developer. I have completed DB2 730 (Elementery Level) certification and preparing for 732.I have no prior experience as DB2 DBA.

As I do some activities as a DBA for my application now (i knew some concepts of database admin) I have got call for DB2 DBA for Z/OS post.

Friends please guide me on:

1) What will be questions they can ask me in the interview. It will be great if some one share the Interview questions for mainframe DB2 DBA?

2) I am getting 5 Lakhs per annum,what will be my expected salary?
    I am completely unaware about package DB2 DBA is getting.

I dont want to miss this opportunity,so what will be the X Factor to get
    selected?

Waiting for your answers.

Thank You
    Raj

Provided Answers: 54
    Welcome Raj!

I wish that it were so simple as to have a few questions, and to know exactly what you'll get in terms of both workload and pay. At least from what I've seen over the last few decades, the DBA is overworked, underpaid, and certainly under appreciated. By underpaid I mean that the DBA contributes far more to most projects than their compensation reflects, even though that compensation is usually very good.

To be a DBA, and especially to be one over the long term that is dedicated to the profession means making a significant commitment to know about the tools currently being used by your company/clients, the tools that they need to learn about that are coming or will be needed, and to have a good working knowledge of every program/system/etc that uses your databases.

Because DBAs in general are hard to find, and great DBAs are very hard to find the compensation is great. It should be at least 50% more than for an application programmer when you start and it should grow over time. There is no hard and fast limit that I've ever seen, but 600% of the going rate for application programmers is certainly possible.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Pat,
    Thanks for your quick response and sharing of good thoughts. Could you please share if you have any interview questions related to Mainframe/z OS DB2 DBA .

Thanks for your time.
    -Raj

zOS DB2 covers a broad spectrum of skill sets ranging from an application programmer with a strong SQL skill set, to a systems programmer with a SQL skill set, to a pure SQL architect. Each of those has three distinct tiers of experience and ability, with many sub-tiers.

Every organization that has one or more z series machines has its own special constraints and requirements. Some shops are 100% SMS, others have a few exceptions, others don't even have SMS installed. Some shops are 100% batch, others are 100% web, some are a mix of batch, web, CICS, TSO, etc.

The questions that they will pose depend on what position they are trying to fill, the tools and practices that they use, and probably at least some questions that are driven by office politics. Without an enormous amount of insight into these factors and some experience with the person or group asking the questions, there is no way for an outsider to guess at what questions you will face.

Pinal Dave is a friend of mine who has written a set of interview questions targeted for Microsoft SQL Server candidates that is heavily flavored with SQL questions that are common in India today. The technology is somewhat different, but the mindset might help you think about the questions that you would be asked for a zOS position.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Phelan View Post
    Because DBAs in general are hard to find, and great DBAs are very hard to find the compensation is great. It should be at least 50% more than for an application programmer when you start and it should grow over time. There is no hard and fast limit that I've ever seen, but 600% of the going rate for application programmers is certainly possible.
    Are you serious? A DBA makes 50% - 600% more than a programmer? Not where I work!

No wonder some companies don't have a DBA and let untrained staff "manage" their databases... until a problem strikes.

Many of my clients have no DBA on staff, but they have us on call. Some of them are willing to pay a premium for 24 by 5, 24 by 7, or even 24 by 365 support.

As db2girl observed, many businesses will try to get by without a formal DBA. This works well until there is a problem with their database. If the business survives their first DB2 problem, they hire a good DBA.

I can't comment on the pay scales for DBAs and programmers within a specific company or a specific area, but overall I stand by my original observation that DBAs are generally paid 150-700% of what junior programmers are paid. That seems to be the going rate in Chicago, New York, London, Zurich, Mumbai, and Tokyo. San Francisco is an exception, but I think that is because there really aren't many junior level programmers there.

-PatP