Provided Answers: 2

Unanswered: Barcodes in Brilliant Database

If anyone needs a basic bar-coding ability, code 39 appears to work fine with a free font off the web (search "free barcode font") and a bit of scripting. While not the best choice (prefer 128), it is no cost and handles basic needs. If some one wants to experiment I could supply script that I am using.
    Regards
    David

Dear tamcind,

Is it possible to share the scipt for the Barcode?

Can it also be implemented in the Report template?

Hi Mr.Flanegin
    This post was a little while ago and don't have a sample file at hand but will try to put something together for you.
    Basically all you need to do is download the free barcode 39 font (installer exe version) and install. Now create a new text field (name "barcode). Make a script triggered by the editing of the field you wish to encode (such as a partnumuber).
    Set the barcode field to *[partnumber]* ( must have the "star" characters).
    Now set font properties of barcode field to the installed 39 font. You now should see your partnumber as a barcode. For reports use the barcode field as above ( set to 39 font in properties and again you will see the barcode in the report or label etc).
    Thats the easy part -- the tricky part is how to read back in to database. I would try using the text button field type with a script that returns focus back to this once input processed from scanner - most will output a return character at end of data to trigger button. Will try to make example in few days.
    Regards
    David

Thank you David,

I would really appreciate it.

I'll get the fonts and gonna try to see if i can make it work.

Angelo

Hi again Angelo
    Made a basic example (attached file). You must have a barcode font installed (download free code39 exe versions) and use this for the font on the "barcode" field. Note inkjet printers may not give a reliable print/read on scanners but most lasers and thermals should be ok.
    The main problem with BD is how to be always ready to receive a scan - if anyone can figure out the messaging features of BD it might be possible to make the application automatically respond. At moment you have to return focus to input field before a scan can be done .
    Might be worth waiting for new version just in case has a new feature.
    Regards
    David
    Attached Files Attached Files

Provided Answers: 17
    The main problem with BD is how to be always ready to receive a scan - if anyone can figure out the messaging features of BD it might be possible to make the application automatically respond. At moment you have to return focus to input field before a scan can be done .
    I forget what make barcode scanner it was that I worked with at the time but this was all very easy to setup.

By default the barcode scanner was sending out the barcode as keystrokes, but you could modify that to send additional keystrokes at the start and end of the barcode numbers and you could enter in a millisecond delay values.

I simply told it to send a CTRL+Y at the start, then pause for 100 milliseconds, then send the bar code value, followed by a Enter keystroke at the end.

Getting brilliant database to listen out for the CTRL+Y was easy. I just created a Toolbar button and gave it no name. If you give a toolbar button no name the button is invisible, but it will still run it's code when it sees a CTRL+Y. I then simply added the code to the button that when pressed (CTRL+Y received from the bar code scanner) to set a variable by a user input. This means a popup window appears after CTRL+Y is received from the barcode scanner. The 100ms delay gives the window enough time to popup. The barcode value is then received as keystrokes into the window and the barcode scanner closes the window by pressing Enter at the end of the barcode.

So, at this point the barcode has been captured by brilliant database and you can add to the toolbar button all the additional lines of code you want to work with that number.

It's a bit of a cave man hack, but it worked fine and they have been using for a long time like that without any problems.

Regards
    James

Hi James and Angelo
    Thanks for idea. Thought about a "helper program" to send key strokes to BD but would prefer an integrated solution like yours. Not sure which scanners can be programed like this but worth checking out.
    Regards
    David

Dear David & James,

Sorry for the delay.

Thanks the example file and the hack for the scanner to recognize the scan.
    Will work with his file and try to see what i can do.

I am going to use this scanner: Symbol LS2208 General Purpose Bar Code Scanner

Maybe there is a way to put the script to run on timer on startup to run like something in the background to be pending for a scan anytime?

Will try will let know.

Angelo