Unanswered: management wants a DB mirror on same server.

My company is a mid sized business and I am the sole of IT. We have MAS, a common accounting software, and just upgraded to the MS SQL version.

We connect to the SQL DB with ODBC from Access for some reporting.

Management doesn't like the idea of us connecting directly into the database that is running our accounting software even though the account through which we are accessing is read-only.

They want me to set up a database mirror and have it on the same server as kind of a redundancy.

The server that is running the MAS and SQL has more than enough resources, I believe.

Is this a very unusually request?

I imagine common practice would be to mirror to an off-site server for failover or a server cluster for redundancy neither of which I need. (I have a backup NAS and there are not too many users.)

Do I have to create a separate instance of SQL?

How do I configure the endpoint ports to talk from the first to the mirror on the same server?

I assume the mirror is 1-way?

I have no one to discuss these with so any help is appreciated.

Provided Answers: 54
    I'm nearly certain that you want About Log Shipping (SQL Server) instead of Database Mirroring.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

question - access reporting - do they need real-time data or could they live with previous day data. What I'm suggesting could save money + reduce the technical complexity. If reporting can live on previous day data, just create a scheduled backup/restore job that restores that same database as another name under the same instance. Then you won't need to buy additional sql licences/hardware.

Thong

Provided Answers: 1
    Log shipping replication is the way to go.
    But you should convince your management to host it on a second server, so that it will serve the dual purpose of being a failover server for disaster recovery.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

Provided Answers: 11
    Log shipping or mirroring, the standby database will be in a recovering state. You can get a snapshot of a mirrored database, but I am not sure you can get a snapshot of a log-shipped database (I've not tried it, as yet). The snapshot capability requires enterprise edition, anyway, and I don't know if your management has shelled out for that.

All that said, I have set up a single server with a database being mirrored on it. This is purely for "research" and demonstrations. It does require a second instance of SQL Server, and I set mine up such that the two endpoints were listening on separate ports.

What is management's base concern, though? That you will accidentally update the database?

Provided Answers: 1
    Sorry, I should have said "Transactional Replication", under which both databases would be fully available for read access.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com