Unanswered: Link Access front end to MYSQL Backend Problems

hoped someone could help, new to this (kind of)

installed mysql 5.5.24 (used WAMP) and then installed my access 2007 on server 2008r2.

i used "access2mysql" to convert access database to mysql. seems to be good now, using mysql workbench, i can see the database in mysql so, I would think thats ok.

heres the problem.. i open access, created a new database. then i cant get the external data, get external data-ODBC Database to work right???

i am selecting the "link to the data source..."

and then my "file data source" is empty,not sure why???

and i see the "machine data source" tab, showing:
    dBase Files User
    Excel Files User
    MS Access Database User

then i can select a driver, i was using the "SQL driver".. i thought i was supposed to have a "Microsoft ODBC for MySQL" but all i see is
    "Microsoft ODBC for Oracle"

what am i missing? This access connection to MySQL doesnt seem to work for me... any help appreciated, thanks!

Did you install the mysql-connector-odbc driver? You need to match the version of Office you are using, if 32 bit then you need the 32 bit driver, if 64 then 64. Not the Windows version. Then, if you are using 32 bit on a Windows 64 bit machine, you can't use the 64 bit ODBC admin, you need to use the 32 bit located: C:\Windows\System32\odbcad32.exe to setup your ODBC connection to MySql.

Quote Originally Posted by billmeye View Post
    Did you install the mysql-connector-odbc driver? You need to match the version of Office you are using, if 32 bit then you need the 32 bit driver, if 64 then 64. Not the Windows version. Then, if you are using 32 bit on a Windows 64 bit machine, you can't use the 64 bit ODBC admin, you need to use the 32 bit located: C:\Windows\System32\odbcad32.exe to setup your ODBC connection to MySql.
    well, i downloaded this: MySQL :: Download Connector/ODBC

i got the winx64.msi
    my server is x64
    access 2007 is x86 (i think, due to almost all files in programs (x86) folder)

not sure how i use the C:\Windows\System32\odbcad32.exe to setup your ODBC connection to MySql....

i got error saying "ODBC -call failed
    Microsoft ODBC Driver Manager The specified DSN container contains an architecture mismatch between the driver and the application...

not sure what happened, i tried the ansi and unicode drivers in the C:\Windows\System32\odbcad32.exe

thanks for the time...

error i kept getting when i tried to link access to my MySQL was "you cannot use ODBC to import from, export to, or link an external MS Office Access or ISAM database table to your database"
    Last edited by fastforded; 06-11-13 at 18:33.

I'm using Driver 5.1, I found problems with 5.2 although that should not prevent you from getting things working.

You do need to be absolutely positive you are using Office 32 bit (most likely, it is the default version). I've attached some images if that helps. Also, if you are using it over a network or multiple user environment you need to set it up under System DNS, not User DNS.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Admin.jpg   Select Driver.jpg   Access Select DNS.jpg  

I'm using Driver 5.1, I found problems with 5.2 although that should not prevent you from getting things working.

You do need to be absolutely positive you are using Office 32 bit (most likely, it is the default version). I've attached some images if that helps. Also, if you are using it over a network or multiple user environment you need to set it up under System DNS, not User DNS.
    thanks for getting back and the help.

i saw this "The first version of Office where there was a separate 64 bit version was Office 20010. Therefore if you have 2007 you are by definition using 32 bit."

all my files are in the x86 folder so I'm sure its x86. running on server 2008r2 x64.

when i open the odbc data source administrator, i have nothing under "system" tab...

so i pressed add and i attached screen shot, i dont have that option for "MySQL ODBC 5.1 driver...

i downloaded x85, 32 bit msi driver from:MySQL :: Download Connector/ODBC

downloaded, and installed.restarted server. however, when i try and "add" it in the ODBC console, it doesn't show up. attached screen shot of what i see...

not sure whats happening...thanks again

btw i looked, default install path is c:\program files (x86)\MySql\Connector ODBC 5.1\
    its install file name is mysql-connector-odbc-5.1.12-win32.msi
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails odbc.jpg  
    Last edited by fastforded; 06-13-13 at 18:24.

The ODBC driver needs to reside on the computer attempting to make the connection to the MySql server, not the actual location of the server unless they are one in the same.

Also, verify you are using the 32 bit ODBC Data Source Admin as per attached.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails About.jpg   IP Config.jpg  

The ODBC driver needs to reside on the computer attempting to make the connection to the MySql server, not the actual location of the server unless they are one in the same.

for now, yes, computers are one in the same. i am trying to set up the access on the server for now to get things going. i installed windows server2008r2 x64, then 32bit wamp server software (apache, mysql and php)....

i created the default account named "administrator" yet when i run odbcad32.exe as admin, says "you are logged on with non-administrative privileges. system dsn's could not be created or modified" weird... checked event viewer, appears driver installed successfully... just does not how up in the "add driver " window or anywhere in that odbc data source admin...

doing all this from rep if it matters any...

not sure why says "no admin" whoami shows pcname/administrator...

let me know any thoughts.. thanks...btw, i installed all software for just administrator acct. only...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails no_admin.jpg  
    Last edited by fastforded; 06-14-13 at 20:48.

heres a pic of odic tab.."about"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails about_tab.jpg  

I'm not an IT guy so I don't know how to get around the No Admin. I would go to MySql forum and try and get some help there.

I'm not an IT guy so I don't know how to get around the No Admin. I would go to MySql forum and try and get some help there.
    thanks, far as i can tell i am most definitely the admin, as local users shows me a member, the only member, of the "administrators" group. It was also the onLy user account created.