Unanswered: Whatís the fastest way to make a search?

Hello

I'm making an MVC-application and don't know what way to go in my database design.

Letís say I have a table of Resources and have 1 million records in that table compared to having 10 or more tables, one for each type of resource, is it faster to have fewer tables with more records or is it faster to have lots of tables with a smaller amount of records in them?

Iím thinking there are two searches anyway; one for the table and one for the record, but are having lots of tables slowing things down?

Provided Answers: 59
    Fastest most flexible by far is a single table with properly designed column data types and appropriate indexes)
    One table per 'resource' is a seemingly attractive approach but requires mre development time. More maintenance. Is more limiting
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Provided Answers: 1

Your design error has a name

Letís say I have a table of Resources and have 1 million records {rows are not anything like records} in that table compared to having 10 or more tables, one for each type of resource, is it faster to have fewer tables with more records {sic} or is it faster to have lots of tables with a smaller amount of records {sic} in them?
    You have re-invented the design flaw called "attribute splitting" !! Would you really prefer to have a "Personnel" table , or "Female_Personnel" and "Male_Personnel" instead? How abotu splitting them by eye colors?

Want to try to re-discover EAV ?

Million rows is not that big today. You can index it, you can partition it. Performance will be fine.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about partitioning the index at a million records, but you may find it useful or fun. Using covered indexes should satisfy the speed requirements.

But please be mindful that indexes aren't free. They cost space.

Code:
    DECLARE @TableName VARCHAR (200)

SET @TableName = 'dbo.YourTableNameHere'

SELECT    
    i.name                  AS IndexName,    
    s.used_page_count * 8   AS IndexSizeKB
    FROM sys.dm_db_partition_stats  AS s 
    JOIN sys.indexes                AS i ON s.[object_id] = i.[object_id] AND s.index_id = i.index_id
    WHERE s.[object_id] = object_id(@TableName)
    ORDER BY i.name
    Again, at a million records it shouldn't be an issue.