Unanswered: Mysql:max_connection issue

Dear All,

We need to increase max_connection parameter in production server. We use six core processor and 8GB RAM. Kindly reply us max_connection limit.

The following SQL command will take effect immediately without a restart is required:
    set global max_connections = 200;

Because this setting will be lost after the next restart you have to edit the parameter

max_connections in the configuration file "my.cnf".

max_connections = 200

Now when you restart MySQL the next time it will use this setting instead of the default.

Note that increasing the number of connections that can be made will increase the potential amount of RAM required for MySQL to run. Please increase the max_connections setting with caution.

I have our config details in above post.We set max_connections as 800 .Now we want to increase because those connections are not sufficient.What will be the best value?

San Sebastian, Spain
    According to the manual increasing this increases the number of file descriptors that mysqld needs. A file descriptor is a file handle. There is a limit defined by a kernel setting in Linux /etc/sysctl.conf. In particular look for fs.file-max = ??? This gives a total number of files that can be opened. For database servers this number should be quite high.
    Ronan Cashell
    Certified Oracle DBA/Certified MySQL Expert (DBA & Cluster DBA)
    Follow me on Twitter