Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    156

    Unanswered: Sybase Characterset

    Hello,
    Second question on doing this restore, I checked the documentation and could not figure it out. I am running HP-UX, Sybase 12.5 (legacy db that can't be upgraded). I am running a restore on a new system and appear to have an environment issue and am trying to figure out how to fix:

    "The master database you are attempting to load was dumped under a different sort order id (50) or character set id (1) than the ones running on this server (sortorder id = 50, character set id = 4)."

    The error makes sense, I am running under the wrong character set id. My question is how do I change the character set id to 1? I have checked the doc and do not see any reference to character set id 1. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I know this has to be something simple I am missing. I am using the same config file from the old server we were on, but something may be different on the server side.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    545
    Provided Answers: 4
    Log in to your dataserver and issue the command sp_configure 'default character set id', 1
    It is a static parameter so you'll have to reboot your dataserver for the change to take effect.
    Then, use sp_configure 'default sortorder id', 50 to change the sort order. Reboot again, as it is a static parameter.
    This only works when you don't have any data in your server, i.e. it is a brand new server. When you have existing data you will have to bcp out, truncate tables and bcp in all userdata.

    Good luck!
    I'm not crazy, I'm an aeroplane!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    156
    Thanks for the info, I had seen that command but kept getting errors that sp_configure could not be found. Turned out I had to run the installmaster script, then it was pretty easy to update the character set. Just got my master restored so hopefully I am almost home free! Thanks again!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    545
    Provided Answers: 4
    Quote Originally Posted by azready View Post
    Thanks for the info, I had seen that command but kept getting errors that sp_configure could not be found. Turned out I had to run the installmaster script, then it was pretty easy to update the character set. Just got my master restored so hopefully I am almost home free! Thanks again!

    Ah, yes, I assumed you had a fully working, freshly installed server. Restoring a master databas e cross-version is not something I have tried before, or even nessecarily recommend. I'd be curious to hear if you get everything working again.
    I'm not crazy, I'm an aeroplane!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    156
    Everything is up and running, not sure if the process I used was the most elegant, but it seems to be working without issues.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •