Unanswered: DB2 Replication / Sync

Hi,
    In our production system we load certain files to IBM DB2 database everyday, the data is then further used in application. We copy the same files to a test environment everyday from production and again run the same process in test environment.

I am thinking to replace this model and replicate / sync production DB2 database with Test databse so that we dont have to load the files again in test environment and we can save lof of time while bringing the test system online for testing with business users.

I would like to know what are the best techniques in IBM DB2 to replicate / sync one database to another database (both residing on different servers) may be in a nightly cycle.

Thanks in advance.

Provided Answers: 5
    How big is the database? How far apart are the servers? How long is the load taking now? Are the servers identical? Are the DB2 versions the same?

DB2 version and OS?

Andy

Hi Andy,
    The DB is around 20 gig, the server are in the same network, in same geographical area (might need to open some firewalls at the max), the load takes around 2 to 3 hours collectively of all the files..

The servers are identical, Db2 versions are same and OS is IBM UNIX - AIX.

(Key solution is if we replicate the DB as is on test region, we dont have to run all the other jobs which manipulate data again as the data is from production so the calculated / manipulated data can be copied as is through replication and we will be online in test region with lesser time).

The database is small, the servers are identical, so why not just backup the production and restore it in test?

Andy

Sorry i am not much familier with DB2 techniques, how do we do that? you mean just copy the tablespace files and paste it on another machine? Are there any standard ways to do it in DB2, so that i can convince customers also for this idea?

No. You you use DB2 BACKUP to make a backup image and the DB2 RESTORE to the test system. Look in the manuals on how to do this.

Andy

Great Thanks.. i will look into the documentation further. thanks for your help.