Unanswered: question DB yes/no

Hello, I created a database with tables that holds questions; answers and cust info. Its a recreation of a hard copy form that I can't seem to make work or describe how I need this thing to happen. I was on one of the other forums and thought i had it but got frustrated because it doesn't seem to come out right. I have searched for questionaires and surveys but has not come accross one that works for me. I don't need complicated. I need to try again from scratch with a new set of eyes. Here goes. I found this little survey by accident while searching. I've attached it into a word doc to show what I am referring to. This is an example of a hard copy that I wish to put into tables and create a form for users input. What I have now: tblQuestions: 1 id field(qID) and one field each to hold question text (10 questions)
    All questions have a yes/no ans. Keep going back and forth on this table design. I need it to be a check field or opt to check and uncheck on the form. Customer tbl with the usual fields (SSN is the key field in all the tables tieing them together. I need to be able to have user to input customer info in one form. On another form; the cust table is used as a subform on a form that has the questions and check boxes with another subform for the customer service rep to into notes and dates of such. I need to capture this data in a table. The user needs to be able to go back to records if they have not answered all the questions on the first go round. I am hoping I am making since because I tend to be more visual with examples to get my point across. Please see attached Doc. My first design has the questions in a label on a form with check boxes next to it. The control source is a table with Q1-Q10 with yes/no as data type. I know there's a better way to accomplish this and I need someone to help me see what I am missing in my current design. Thank you for letting me ramble.
    Last edited by slimjen; 07-05-13 at 23:09.

Provided Answers: 2
    I think that you are confusing the radio button control with the Boolean (Yes/No) data type. Your example question has eight possible answers, none of which is a simple yes or no.
    Assuming that each respondent can select one and only one answer to each question, I would suggest a different design. Have one table each for Questions, Answers, Customers and Responses. Questions should comprise of an ID field and the text for the question. Answers should comprise of the question ID to which each record is a possible answer, the answer number (which can be used to order the possible answers for each question) and the answer text. Customers can consist of whatever you currently have as it doesn't affect this part of the database's design too much. Responses should comprise of customer ID, question ID and response ID. You can put a date field in there as well if you need it.
    You will need to create an option group for each set of answers on your form, if you want to use radio buttons.
    10% of magic is knowing something that no-one else does. The rest is misdirection.

Thank you for responding. I do mean the check box for yes/no. Your suggestion is clear. I was missing a table and using one table for the answers and responses. This was throwing me off in trying to join the questions and answers in a query for the report. I'll try this and post back. Thank you again.

Ok Im stuck. I created the tables as suggested. I need to create an users input form so they can check off yes/no box to the cooresponding questions. I have the questions 1-10 typed out in the form. The record source for the form is a query joining the a query for response table with the Custid, QID and AnsID and and tblans. But in design view of the form, I don’t see a way to tie the check box for the yes/no so that it will appear in the table for each ans. For ex. I have 10 questions on the form (written out in labels) I have 10 check boxes beside them. The record source only has 3 fields. My original form used a query joining the cust table with ans table custid and ans1, ans2… with 10 answers for each question datatype yes/no. So I was able to assign 1 control for each of the check boxes. What am I doing wrong?

I think that you misunderstand how check boxes and option groups work. Can you post a zipped copy of what you've done so far? I'll have a look when I can.
    10% of magic is knowing something that no-one else does. The rest is misdirection.

Ok. I have the forms source to a old query so you can see what I need it to be. The other tables and queries are as I designed based on your suggestion.
    See attached

Hmm. Can't open this at home - Access offers the suggestion that the file was created with a higher version (only on 2000 at home). Will try again from the office if time permits.

Try the new attached. thanks