Thread: Acess 2013

Unanswered: Acess 2013

How can I select a record (one form) from one table and use several fields from that table to populate the form, save the record into a different file and update the form and eventually print the form.

I have created the form and can print,,,,,however I cannot figure out how to make the record selection from the other file.

Provided Answers: 2
    Wow. This one is all over the place.

If a form is bound to a table (or query), navigating to a record selects it. Likewise, once you've navigated to a record, the data in the table will automagically populate the form's controls. That's the point of binding a table to a form.

...save the record into a different file...
    A different Access file? A text file? A report snapshot? Something else entirely?

...and update the form...
    Update the form with what?
    10% of magic is knowing something that no-one else does. The rest is misdirection.

Reading one Table and Updatin Another

Thanks for the reply......I am new to this so I will try to explain better.

I have a table of Budget records with Project Information and amounts. I have a form to create a Purchase Request.

The first thing I want to do is find a Budget record for the Project and make sure it has sufficient budget. Then I want to populate the project information and WBS from the budget record to the PR form and update the PR form with a vendor contact and other information then write the record to a PR Request file. There will eventually be many PR records to the same Budget record. (But both different access files)

Does this make more sense? I tried a combo box but can only return one field to the form???

All of what you want to do is possible, depending on how your database is structured. If there is a logical link between projects and budget records, you should be able to create a button on the Projects form that opens the Budget form to the relevant budget record. Once you've created a purchase request, you should be able to write a query that will insert it into another database file.

Combo boxes can return more than one value. You can write VBA scripts to extract multiple column values from them for the selected record.
    10% of magic is knowing something that no-one else does. The rest is misdirection.

What I am having the most trouble with (also in another function of my database) is creating new records in related tables, I can create a form to add records to a table.....then I want to add records to another related table using two fields that are the linking fields and I cannot get it to add records to the second table.

I don't know VBA and am trying to accomplish what i want without it..!@>@>@ is that doable??

If the values for the new records can be looked up or otherwise derived from existing values, then this should be possible. What have you tried so far?

Any help would be greatly appreciated..... I have a table where i am creating a Project Information record with a Number, Title, category, Manager Name, etc. Then I have two tables (one a sub to the other) with Work Breakdown Structure (WBS) records to lay out the project (construction projects) funding with amounts and dates. Then I have another file with the Purchase Order information......

I start with a Project Information record.....then create the WBS records... then create the PO records and all tables are linked by Project Number and Category. Order to create the records is:

1. Create Project
    2. Create WBS
    3. Create PO

But because they are linked I cannot create the way I want.....it seems to wants related records in each file before I can do anything else. But I would like to select a record from 1 and create a related in 2 and then in 2 and create a related record in 3.

I have a table with initial WBS records that I can use to add to the WBS table and I would like to use that Project Number and Category as the linked fields but I didn't want to reenter them......so I created a query to append records to the WBS table using records from the Estimate Title records and the Project Information but I can only append the records if there is already a Project Information..Category record already in the WBS table.

Sounds like the relationships are a little screwy. Can you upload a copy of what you've done so far (preferably in Access 2010 format)? Please remove any sensitive data first.

OK... I am uploading my db I have been working in 2013. I tried to save it as 2010,,,,but the options were 2007 - 2013.

I am working in Project Information category. It is also related to the WBS Table and WBS Detail Table. Then PO Request Form

Each has lots of related queries some used most not. I am pretty new to this so I am struggling. Thanks for your help
    Last edited by dhenderson; 07-08-13 at 13:08. Reason: attach file

I have to recreate the file
    Last edited by dhenderson; 07-09-13 at 07:47.