Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unanswered: dbimport error - *** Import data is corrupted!

Hello,

I have an AIX6.1 machine that is using Informix IDS 11.70.FC2.
    I have face a problem recently with dbimport. I tried 2 separate dbexports that both of them dont have any error in dbexport.out but both of them failed to be imported in the instance. The error that i get is the same:
    *** Import data is corrupted!

0 - Unknown error message 0.

i did some search but all the answers that i find are mentioning things that are related with tape backup/restore. in my case i am not using tapes for dbexport and dbimport.
    anyone has an idea of what might cause this problem?

thank you in advance

re: dbimport error - *** Import data is corrupted!

Where are the files stored. Although it may not be a tape file it may be treating as one. Can you send the path the file is using and the dbimport command.

for dbexport
    from directory /temp_restore i run the command dbexport <database> -ss

then i transfer this file to another server where i want to import the database

for dbimport
    dbimport -d <dbspace> <database>

i am using this procedure for few years i dont know what happened suddenly. its strange

re: dbimport error

The dbexport command will create a sql file as well as a unl file for each table. How are you transferring the file.

You may want to check the files that were transferring from one machine to another.

I would try creating a tar file then move the tar file and uncompress to see if that clears the error.

HTH

yes i already do this procedure to transfer it.
    i use tar to archive the exp and then compress to compress it even more.
    i do the same thing for other databases but only this database has this problem on dbimport.
    i tried to do an oncheck on this database to fix the data in the tables if this was the problem but i still have this error.
    its weird.

I experienced a similar (but perhaps not the same) problem on an AIX 5.1 machine with IDS 9.3 many years ago in a PeopleSoft environment. I found the dbexported "create view XXX" statements would cause dbimport to fail because the column_names would not wordwrap properly. At the end of the line (when viewed in a text editor) I would see employee_n (that's wrong) instead of employee_name (which is correct).

I removed all the "create view" statements from the xxx.exp file and ran dbimport with success. Then I used the PSoft built-in Application Designer to create a script that build all the "create view xxx" statements for me. Perhaps Informix has a built-in native tool to perform the same task but I never looked for it.

Open the xxx.exp file with a text editor and see if the "create view xxx" statements look correct (column names not truncated by wordwrap), it this isn't the source of your problems then I don't have anything else to offer.

Good luck
    Last edited by mjldba; 07-16-13 at 09:54.

I forgot to ask what O/S you transferred it to. As long as you did not change the name of the database, this can caused a problem. Also the page size could be different which can also be a problem.

What version of IDS are you importing this into. Are there other databases already import on the second server.

To be honest there could be any number of issues and we may need to try them one at a time.

Also make sure the dbspaces used on the main server is the same as what is on the dbimport server.

both AIX machines are 6.1 and informix IDS 11.7.
    similar dbspaces and everything and this is the first time i experience this kind of error. i imported a lot databases without any problem, also the same database that creates me problem now i could import it with success before. only last week i experience this problem with the specific database only and i still face the same issue.
    i try to import other databases with success.
    mjldba i did what you described cause in the end i wanted to import this database. i edited the sql file of the database and remove the lines for the table that created me the problem. i run the dbimport again and it was successfully imported. luckily this time i talked with the programmer that wanted to do the test on this database and she told me that she didnt need of that table so it was fine for her not to create it. thats why i did it.
    but the problem it is still there and it would be nice to find what is causing it and how i can solve it before someone really needs that table.
    thank you both for your time and effort

Is /temp/restore an export file. If it is create a backup folder under /root, if the is enough space.

Second, look at the dbimport file. does it stop automatically or does it go for a while. If the file is small can you post it here.

If we can determine where it fails we can work around it. On the older versions we could create two files one for the tables and data and one for stored procedures

HTH

the directory that the dbimport is located is a separate file system so the space is not an issue.
    about the file, you mean that you want the sql file or the dbimport.out ?

Good, you've identified the table causing the dbimport failure. Why not try to do an UNLOAD and LOAD for that table individually and see if the specific problem data reveals itself.

I had a problem with a table that had data that was vendor-defined as data type TEXT which is a BLOB data type. It was the only table in the DB with this data type & it caused me nothing but problems until the vendor resoved fixed the issue.

This statement is taken from an old IDS7 INFORMIX reference book: "Inserting a backslash ("\") before any delimiters or other backslashes in your data will take away the special meaning of these characters and will allow the data to be inserted into the table normally.

You will also need to put backslashes in front of any newline characters in a varchar column and in front of any newlines at the end of a text BLOB value. Byte data must be entered in ASCII hexadecimal format and may not begin or end with blanks".
    Last edited by mjldba; 07-17-13 at 11:20.

I am not worried about space as much as permissions. With export file system this can sometimes be a problem, ps do not confuse this with the dbexport, two entirely different things.

If the sql file created with the dbexport is not large can you post it here.

The file I wanted you to post also is the dbimport.out file. I just want to see how far it went.

here is the dbimport.out file output (i copied the last lines cause the file is too large):
    { TABLE "bank".bkdchc row size = 41 number of columns = 9 index size = 18 }
    { unload file name = bkdch01401.unl number of rows = 26857 }

create table "bank".bkdchc
    (
    age char(5),
    eve char(6),
    typ char(2),
    nbd decimal(2,0),
    nbp decimal(2,0),
    nbdt decimal(2,0),
    nbr decimal(2,0),
    att1 char(10),
    att2 char(10)
    ) extent size 1680 next size 480 lock mode row;

revoke all on "bank".bkdchc from "public" as "bank";

{ TABLE "bank".sem_cbc_bkcom row size = 73 number of columns = 11 index size = 42
    }
    { unload file name = sem_c01402.unl number of rows = 4889764 }

create table "bank".sem_cbc_bkcom
    (
    age char(5),
    typ char(3),
    cha char(10),
    ncp char(11),
    clc char(2),
    sde decimal(19,4),
    ret_sde decimal(19,4),
    dev char(3),
    cli char(11),
    brassplate smallint,
    entry_dt date
    ) extent size 558016 next size 159432 lock mode row;

revoke all on "bank".sem_cbc_bkcom from "public" as "bank";

{ TABLE "bank".sem_coop_bal row size = 31 number of columns = 6 index size = 0 }
    { unload file name = sem_c01403.unl number of rows = 0 }

create table "bank".sem_coop_bal
    (
    age char(5),
    groupcode char(5),
    rep_mon decimal(19,2),
    yearval integer,
    repcode char(2),
    monthval integer
    ) extent size 16 next size 16 lock mode row;

revoke all on "bank".sem_coop_bal from "public" as "bank";

{ TABLE "bank".sem_cbc_ncp_info row size = 176 number of columns = 21 index size
    = 9 }
    { unload file name = sem_c01404.unl number of rows = 3218872 }

create table "bank".sem_cbc_ncp_info
    (
    age char(5),
    cha char(10),
    fam char(10),
    res char(3),
    dev char(3),
    ncp char(7),
    sde decimal(19,4),
    maturity char(10),
    class char(4),
    mortgage char(4),
    performing char(1),
    prov_pos decimal(19,4),
    prov_neg decimal(19,4),
    entry_dt date,
    eve char(6),
    rem_maturity char(15),
    grp char(6),
    res1 char(20),
    res2 char(20),
    res_date1 date,
    res_amount1 decimal(19,4)
    ) extent size 1005516 next size 287288 lock mode row;

revoke all on "bank".sem_cbc_ncp_info from "public" as "bank";
    *** Import data is corrupted!

0 - Unknown error message 0

here is the creation of this table from the sql file:

{ TABLE "bank".sem_cbc_ncp_info row size = 176 number of columns = 21 index size
    = 9 }
    { unload file name = sem_c01404.unl number of rows = 3218872 }

create table "bank".sem_cbc_ncp_info
    (
    age char(5),
    cha char(10),
    fam char(10),
    res char(3),
    dev char(3),
    ncp char(7),
    sde decimal(19,4),
    maturity char(10),
    class char(4),
    mortgage char(4),
    performing char(1),
    prov_pos decimal(19,4),
    prov_neg decimal(19,4),
    entry_dt date,
    eve char(6),
    rem_maturity char(15),
    grp char(6),
    res1 char(20),
    res2 char(20),
    res_date1 date,
    res_amount1 decimal(19,4)
    ) extent size 1005516 next size 287288 lock mode row;

revoke all on "bank".sem_cbc_ncp_info from "public" as "bank";

The tables appears to be fine. Nothing strange with the columns. As long as there is enough space in the dbspace it should be created.

Did you look in the database.exp directory sql file to see what comes after the table. Usually once the tables are created there are procedures. Also look at sem_c01404.unl for the size.

Also can you try the dbimport with a -c options to bypass errors.

well the dbspace has the required space to import it. if it didnt had the space then i would get a clear error message "no free disk space".
    after the creation of this table another table is created.
    the size of sem_c01404.unl is around 300MB.
    if i use -c in dbimport and it completes successfully i will have a valid database or not?