Unanswered: SQL 2008 R2 setup.exe does nothing

I have a Windows 7 64 bit machine running SQL Server 2008 Enterprise.

I would like to upgrade it to SQL Server 2008 R2 Enterprise. I loaded the media on the machine, but when i double click on the setup.exe, it displays a command box for a split second, goes away, and then nothing happens.

I tried rebooting the box, running as Administrator (by the way, I am part of local Admin group on this box), but nothing happens when I double click on setup.exe.

I have used this same media on other machines and it works fine.

Are there any logs that I can check to see what may be causing the issue?

thanks
    scott

Provided Answers: 11
    Anything in the local event logs?

I see this in the Setup log:

Windows update could not be installed because of error 2147943623 "The operation was canceled by the user." (Command line: ""C:\Windows\system32\wusa.exe" "C:\temp\SQL 2008 R2\x64\redist\Windows Installer\INSTMSI45.MSU" ")

Uninstall SQL Server 2008 Enterprise and install R2. Make sure you have a backup of the databases. Then attach them.

hi there,

a simple check on the os requirements for sql server 2008r2 enterprise shows that it windows 7 is not supported. It requires at least windows server.

Thong

Provided Answers: 10
    That's strange... 2008R2 Developer Edition (which is basically Enterprise for a single user) is just fine on Win7 (I have it on this machine right here!).
    George
    Home | Blog

not strange to me. that's how to get customers. promote your best product on all supported platforms and once users get hooked onto the product, they're forced to buy it.

I have this same edition running on another pc running windows 7 just fine. I actually used the same media set. Not sure why it's not working on this machine. Could there be something corrupt with the Windows Installer or .Net Framework? How do I know if .Net Framework is actually enabled and running on Windows 7?