Unanswered: Temprary recordset

Hi,

I am wanting to change certain field values at the time of export depending on various criteria, depending on where I am exporting to.

One way to do this would be to generate a temporary recordset so that the field values could be changed without changing the values of the actual records.

Is this possible? Any other way to achieve this?

Cheers!

Matty

Provided Answers: 2
    Hi Matty
    If I understand your post correctly, a recordset is just that - a group of selected records from a form (table). Any change to this recordset will be reflected in the stored data unless you use some form of hidden field(s) changed with scripts just for export purposes. If your requrements are numeric then a maths calculated field would do what you need. Unfortunately BD only allows calculated text in the report designer - hopefully V11 might have this on forms as well.
    There might be a way to script this if you write the data to an array of variables and then export/write to file - probably need a sample database to pursue this idea further.
    Regards
    David

Hi David,

Thanks. I had thought about creating my own export file via a script, but as you mention that would need an array as it isn't possible to write to a file line by line. I didn't realise there was an array variable. I can explore this further if you can just point me in the right directon r.e working with array variables.

Cheers

Matty

Hi Matty
    Sorry I used the term "array" loosely, BD does not allow a true array as some in some languages. What I was thinking was a variable for each field that needs exporting but that may not be required.
    General idea for csv file;
    Create variable to hold text (Can't recall if limit to size)
    Get record set needed
    Start loop records
    Move to field required
    Set Var1 to Var1 and current field (modified if needed) and comma.
    Move next need field
    Set Var1 to Var1 and current field (modified if needed) and comma.
    etc etc for all needed fields
    Set Var1 to Var1 and [BR]
    Next record
    Write file using Var1

Slightly different script for each export type?
    Might be other ways but sort of speculating about your requirements (and brain in idle mode after days work).
    Just something to try - may or may not work out.
    Regards
    David
    Edit may not even even need to "use move field action" - just set var1 to your need fields (modified as required).
    Last edited by tamcind; 07-17-13 at 08:26. Reason: more thoughts

Ah, right, I'm following you. Thanks. I have quite large text fields to export (along with the fields I want to alter adhoc) so any limit on the variable size would be critical here. I'll investigate further. But a useful technique nevertheless. I have a feeling the hidden fields option may turn out to be the better one for this.

Cheers

Matty

Quick look at Specs but can see no mention of variable limits.
    Technical Information

Maximum field number on one form: 32000
    Maximum sheet number on one form: 64
    Maximum form number in one database: 256 (one form can contain several sheets)
    Maximum database size: 2 Terabyte
    Maximum record number: limited only by the database size
    Maximum folder number: limited only by the database size
    Maximum record number per folder: 100000
    Maximum folder number per folder: 256
    Maximum attachment size: 256Mb
    Maximum attachments number per record: 256
    Maximum query number: 1024
    Maximum report style number: limited only by the database size
    Maximum toolbar button/menu/hot-key number: limited only by the database size
    Maximum picture number: limited only by the database size
    Maximum attachments number: limited only by the database size
    Optimal number of networked computers: 2 - 16

Additional Information

Users: Full-featured access management for users and groups
    Mathematical Formulas: Use other 30 standard functions
    Text Formatting: Use other 20 functions to format text
    Automation: More than 40 actions to work with database, import/export, file system, etc
    Scripting: Visual Script Editor - use actions, cycles, global and local variables, logical operators
    Timers: Every week, every day, every X seconds and other
    Text and Data Import From: Excel, Access, Outlook, Web, Doc, RTF, Txt, Csv, HTML, clipboard, any drag-and-srop data source
    Images Import From: Any image file, Scanner, Web-Camera, Digital Camera, Clipboard
    Export To: Printer, Send e-mails, Ms Word/Excel/Access Docs, Text/HTML/Csv files
    Multimedia: Store and play Video, Music, Sound using Brilliant
    Field Types: text, password, number, formula, image, date, time, e-mail, URL, simple relational field, many-to-many relational field, relational lookup field, list, multi-line text, image, flag, multi-select list, button, text-button, id, label, shape, picture.